I had juvederm lip fillers a week ago. (photos)

I now have a brown type of moustache and white line around my top lip. The colouring only appears in some lights, but it is definitely there and some people have commented on it. I am worried that it could be permanent. I have been back to the person who carried out the procedure and they have assured me that this is just swelling, but it doesn't appear to be getting any better.

Juvederm - Lips

Thank you for sharing your case and photos.  I'm sorry to hear that you have had issues after your lip injections.  You may have had it injected too close to the surface of the skin.  Make sure that your injector is aware of your concerns.  Remember to only have a board certified injector perform Juvederm injections for you in the future.  Good luck!

Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Concerns about lip filler

Hello! Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs. From looking at your pictures, I would guess that the "brown mustache" that you are seeing on your upper lip is actually a shadow created by the fact that your upper lip is "pushing forward" due to  swelling and the filler that has been injected into it. This is common enough after injections to be considered normal. It can take 2 weeks for normal swelling and bruising to fully resolve.  If you wait 2 weeks, and there is still too much forward projection in your lip, some of the filler can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. Or, alternatively, if you like the size of your lips, but just wished to get rid of that contour, a small amount of filler can be injected just above the red line that defines the upper lip, to soften the "step off", removing the shadowing. I hope this helps, and I wish to the best of luck!

Final Result After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Swelling and bruising is normal after treatment with Juvederm, especially in the lips.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  Icing is beneficial for up to 48 hours after the procedure.  Arnica is also helpful for minimizing postprocedure swelling and bruising.  I would suggest that you wait a full 2 weeks after the procedure to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve before judging your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Any unwanted filler can be easily removed with Vitrase.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Wait another week for swelling and bruising to dissipate.

Thank you for your question and photos. The tissue in the lips is extremely sensitive, and a significant amount of bruising and swelling is common after the injection of fillers. At only 1 week post-injection, you’re still seeing some swelling and bruising. Most people see their final results after about 2 weeks, so give your lips a little longer to heal before making any decisions. In the meantime, you can likely disguise the discolorations you’re describing with makeup. If you’re still unhappy with your results in another week or so, visit your practitioner to discuss the possibility of dissolving the filler.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Lip Filler

Juvederm is not permanent and can be dissolved.  It looks like it can still be swelling but also could be that the injector put too much filler in the vermilion border.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lip Filler...New Contours

I wish I had a before photo to compare this with, but it appears that the accentuated contour of your upper lip has created a ridge that is causing a shadowing effect.  If it is only a week since you had the filler done, some of this may be attributed to swelling and may settle down over the next 1-2 weeks. 

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Post Procedure Swelling

Great question and thank you for sharing your photos. Injecting fillers into the lips is very likely to cause swelling and bruising. This swelling can be significant but normally resolves within 7-10 days. If your injection was a week ago your are still experiencing normal swelling and bruising. Do not be concerned and give it another week before seeing the injecting physician.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician