Will my upper lip soften? (Photo)

I am on day 6 after having 2ml of juvederm in my top and lower lips. I am really happy with the shape but concerned about the poutiness (is that even a word). the area above my upper lip seems to be very full and Im worried it wont soften. (I feel like cat in the hat, haha) I also cant smile properly and have a lump on my inner lower lip and inner top lip on opposite sides. Will the lumps go away and will my upper lip reduce in size?

Juvederm

Thank you for your question in regards to Juvederm. Swelling, bruising, lumps and bumps are all common effects from lip injections. This can last for up to two weeks. If it does not subside within that time, its recommened to follow up with your injector to dicuss your concerns and options to achieve your desired results. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Lips Swelling and Uneven After Injections -- Reverse With Hyaluornidase

I suggest waiting 2 weeks and if it doesn't even out please see an expert for hyaluronidase.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Injections and Swelling

It appears that you have some swelling from the lip injections and it will take another week or more to resolve.  The shape looks nice and I would wait at least another week before returning to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Questions after lip filler

After 2 syringes, you can expect swelling for about a week to 10 days. Wait for that all to settle down. Massage the lower lip nodule can be done as well. After 2 weeks, if not happy, discuss with your doctor. Most things settle down at that time. See link

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Will my upper lip soften?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  With the amount of filler placed you have had some swelling develop into your upper lip which is likely causing your pout appearance. This swelling is normal and tends to resolve over the next week, while 2-4 weeks are needed for your lips to soften and look more natural.  Small lumps or bumps will tend to resolve over this time as well.  Hang in there, I think you will obtain a very nice result.

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Lip lumps with juvederm

2ml is a lot of filler to put into the lip.  So you are most likely still swollen at this point.  It can take a couple of weeks for the swelling to go down, and sometimes you will feel a lump initially, especially if you had any bruising.  Sometimes a little massage over the lump  will help to smooth it out.  If after 2 weeks you are still irregular see your doctor.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

2ml of Restylane

Thank you for sharing your concerns. You are still swollen and will improve over the next 2 weeks. Cold compresses might help the discomfort and help with swelling. See your doctor if you are still not happy next week. 
Good luck,

Juvederm - lips hard at 6 days

Thank you for asking about your lip Juvederm.

• Things will improve -
  • Allow yourself another week for your swelling to subside -
  • Make an appointment to see your doctor then to see if some needs to be massaged away or dissolved.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Will my upper lip soften?

Hello Traceylou2u,

2 cc is certainly a lot for lip injections.  This will create a tight feeling and can create more of a pouty lip.  With any lip filler the swelling will increase for the first few days and stay there for up to a week or two.  At this point, the swelling, size, and lumpiness should continue to improve.  Once you get to two weeks, what you see is about what you will get. If you think it is too large at that time then you can have an injection of an enzyme that removes the filler, and start over with a more conservative injection. 

I hope this helps and good luck.

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon