How much recovery time will I need after hyaluronidase?

I have tiny lips and almost no upper lip at all. I wanted just a tiny bit of fullness put into my upper lip. I foolishly also had botox placed around my crows feet in the same session, and now I have a duck smile, and no smile lines, which makes me look like a wax work doll. I urgently want to remove the filler in my lips but am so terrified I'll do more damage. How much recovery time will I need after the doctor injects hyaluronidase and how soon can I see the effects? Please help me!

Hyluronidase

Hyaluronidase works within 24 hours, however the tissue swelling from the injection may last up to 2 weeks.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Recovery after Hyaluronidase

It's disheartening not to get the results you wanted, but as you noted, you do have options for removal.  I did not hear how long ago these injections were done and was interested in whether you could currently have some local tissue swelling from multiple injections that might be likely to resolve over time and give you the results you wanted.  If you have waited a few weeks after these injections and are still unhappy, I have seen significant results with hyaluronidase overnight and certainly within 24 hours.

Ideally you would like to avoid confusing overinjection with normal post procedure swelling so that you don't swing too far the other way with hyaluronidase and end up back where you started.

Melissa Toyos, MD
Nashville Ophthalmologist

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear that your results turned out much different than your expectations.  Hyaluronidase starts to work immediately when injected into the lip, with most of its effects taking place in the first 48 hours.  Swelling of the tissues after injection tends to resolve over 1-2 weeks.  Hope this helps. 

Hyaluronidase to dissolve fillers

Hyaluronidase usually takes several days to see the effects of the injection and there should be no down time other possibly bruising.  Depending on the amount of the filler it may take more than one treatment to dissolve it.

Michele S. Green, MD