Almost two months after tummy tuck, muscle repair and lipo and my flanks still seem huge?

I have an appointment in five days, but want an idea now. My flanks seem extremely large yet. I'm not sure how to tell if they're swollen or if it's fat. My lower abdomen (under incision) still isn't flat, either. Should the swelling be down by now? I can't get a precise answer by searching. Thanks in advance.

Surgery two months ago

At two months post surgery, you are likely still very swollen and need to give it 4-6 months to settle down.

Thank you for sharing your question.  With a combined tummy tuck and liposuction procedure swelling may be prolonged for 6 months or longer after surgery, and is best treated with the use of a compression garment. You should be seeing improvement since your surgery in your overall appearance, but your surgeon can provide greater reassurance based on his in-person examination of you on your follow-up visit.  Hope this helps.

Mommy make-over - flanks still see large.

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Swelling should be better than before 2 months after surgery but it will not be gone.
  • it may take you another 4 months to see the swelling fully subside and often it subtly improves for longer.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummytuck Concerns

I appreciate your concern, but it is still too early to be concerned about need for revision. It usually takes 6 months for complete resolution of swelling and skin shrinkage after liposuction. The same is true for your final Tummytuck results. Try to be patient and follow up with your plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Protracted swelling after abdominoplasty

Some patients have longer recovery trajectories than others so it is possible that you are still healing. Discuss in a nonconfrontational manner with your surgeon.  If this persists in another three months, there is a stronger likelihood that you may need some additional liposuction.

Swelling after TT

It's too early to have the final result.  The swelling after a TT will persist after a a few more months.   It will gradually decrease.  Use your compression garment at all time and try to get some massages to the area.  Have a nice day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Greetings

Thank you for your question. After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. Continue to follow your physicians post-op protocol for optimal results. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for your inquiry.

At the 2 month point after surgery you have just finished the scarring phase of wound healing.  There is still some swelling and inflammation in your abdomen and hips.   You'll have a better assessment over the next several months.
Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon at your upcoming appointment. 

Good luck.