My tooth has chipped at the gum line. What are my options? Implant? (Photo)

Doctor Answers 6

Options to fix a chipped tooth

I would first want to know how the tooth got chipped so that we can talk about options to fix it.
Next I would want to make certain that aside from the chip, the truth is otherwise in good health.
Assuming that it is, then your solution might be something as simple as placing a bonded tooth colored filling.

I hope you found this information to be helpful,
Dr. Champagne

Freehold Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

5 Dental Procedures to Repair Your Cracked or Broken Tooth

Here are five procedures that can repair your cracked or broken tooth:

-Dental bonding
-Root Canal
-Dental Implant

Susan Millar, DDS
Costa Mesa Dentist

Class5 cavity

no implant is needed. just get cavity filled with composite. if u have pain in that tooth , in that condition xray is required to see caviy extension in that tooth.

Nirav Patel, MDS, PhD
India Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Chipped tooth options


From the photo it appears you might have a cavity at the gum line.  If there is no nerve damage a simple tooth color filling will be the best option.  Please make an appointment with a dentist as soon as possible before the cavity gets any deeper.


Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Chipping tooth that is black at the gumline.

This dark area can be a cavity on the root or tartar buildup. Make an appointment with a dentist for an exam and X-rays to determine what the problem is and the solution to fix it. If it is a cavity, a white filling can be done to repair the decay area. 

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Dentist
4.6 out of 5 stars 10 reviews


There is no need to consider an implant. You have a small area of decay and this tooth can easily be repaired with a filling.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.