Which implant is better? Mentor, Natrelle or Sientra (silicone)

I've been researching implants because I'm plan of having a breast Aug and I finally picked my doctor. Up until today my main focus was one natrelle, the mentor. The surgeon that will be performing my surgery currently uses only mentor, but is thinking of adding Sientra. From want I read, its just as good if not better. 
Also, natrelle has more options for shape and their silicone is also more cohesive that mentor. Is that correct? The two main surgeons I'm thinking of having my surgery with each use one or the other, but the surgeons are in the same circle. Just would like some more info on the brands. So which one so you think is better and what would you recommend?

Which breast implants are better

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you look at the physical characteristics of each implant they differ slightly in shell thickness and implant fill.  The more filled the implant the less the chance for vertical rippling.  The thicker the implant shell the more palpable the implant but has less side rippling.  As far as fill volume with the smooth silicone implants, Natrelle style 15, 20 are the least filled, then comes the Sientra and then Mentor tend to be more filled.  The Mentor MP+ has the most fill and least likely to have vertical rippling.  Regarding textured implants Sientra has the best fill volume compared to Natrelle or Mentor HP.  Although the Mentor textured MP+ is also quite filled.  I always prefer a more filled implant compared to less filled.  Often the larger you go or the less tissue you have, the fill volume becomes quite important.  Take a sample of each implant and place them side by side and you can easily see the difference.  Many surgeons are not aware of these subtle differences and simply choose implants based upon availability and service of the implant representatives.  Finally the Sientra textured implants now have a two year warranty against capsule contracture plus the highest reimbursement in case of implant failure.  Simply stated if you used a Sientra textured implant and you develop a capsule contracture with in two years of the surgery, they will give you a free set of new implants at no charge.  The other two companies do not do this.  My personal preference is if a patient wants smooth implants I use either a Mentor HP or MP+ style.  If they select textured implants I definitely prefer Sientra's textured MP or HP styles.  I hope that helps.  You can see a video on my  website at benjaminchumd.com and you can see the differences in implant characteristics.  Thanks Dr. Chu

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Choices

At this time, the 3 breast implant manufacturers approved by the FDA to sell implants for cosmetic breast augmentation are Mentor, Natrelle (Allergan), and Sientra.  All 3 are reputable companies that stand behind their products with appropriate warranties.  They have all gone through a rigorous approval process with the FDA.  Every surgeon will develop his or her own preferences regarding which company's products to use.  I, myself, have used implants from all 3 companies, and have seen nice results from all.  I try to base my decision on which implants will work best with the individual patient's breast anatomy and dimensions to create the best result.  Of course, there are significant different characteristics between silicone and saline implants, smooth vs. textured surface, varying profiles, sizes, and shapes.  There may also be a difference in consistency due to the cohesiveness of the silicone produced by each manufacturer.  However, the quality of the 3 company's products are similar.  Be sure to speak directly with your surgeon about all these characteristics of the breast implants, not just the size, in order obtain your best result.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

The Best Breast Implant

No single manufacturer, unfortunately has every single size available. That is one reason I use implants from all three companies depending on the specific requirements of my patient.   The new shaped, form stable implants have filled a niche in my practice.

Different plastic surgeons may have their favorite breast implant brand, but the most important factor in selecting a surgeon for breast augmentation is not the brand of the implant, but the care, expertise, education and talent of the plastic surgeon performing the procedure.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Differences between various breast implant companies

Mentor, Allergan, and Sientra breast implants are all approved for sale and use in the USA.  I personally have used all of these implants and they all have produced reliable results.  Each board certified plastic surgeon may have their own preference.  Each company have various size, shape, and styles of implants.  The key is identifying your expectations and choosing the correct implant with your surgeon.  

Good Luck, 

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Differences in silicone implants?

You said the doctor you chose uses Mentor so I wanted to let you know that I have used Mentor implants (both saline and silicone) for 20 years and they have always been excellent quality both now and even in the past before cohesive gel. The company itself is excellent and backs their product. I have hundreds of happy patients and my wife has had her cohesive Mentor implants for 12 years (since we put them in when they were in a study phase before commercial release) and they have been excellent. If your surgeon uses these I don't think you can go wrong. The other companies are fine as well but I have a long experience with this company and it has been a good one.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Differences in silicone gel implants

I don't think that there is really any difference between the major implant brands you mentioned, with regard to outcome or quality. Sientra is only available to be used by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons (ie, not a board certified dermatologist, or general surgeon, or "cosmetic surgeon"). In that sense, if your surgeon is ABLE to use Sientra, at least that tells you that they have appropriate training, and certification. Other than that, it is pretty much a wash. Good luck on your upcoming procedure!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Better Breast Implant

All of the American implant manufacturers make high quality products.  They are all FDA approved and are good devices.  So, really it is a matter of personal preference as to which brand the surgeon (and his patient) prefers.

Paul Fortes, MD

Implant specs can be hard to decipher!

Implant Specs can be hard to decipher--- I would first pick your surgeon and then let her decide about the brand name. I have used them all, and really  the difference is very minimal. What ever you get-- you will love it!

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implants

I can recommend all three implants, they are all great quality.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

All three companies are reputable with good products (similar characteristics and warranties).  Every patient's anatomy and goals are different;  each patient may  benefit from the use of a specific size/profile of breast implant.  Therefore, in my practice, I have consignments of all 3 different breast implant manufacturers available in the operating room.   Ultimately, more important than the specific breast implant company utilized will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. Careful preoperative communication, careful intraoperative sizing ( including the use of temporary sizers and dimensional planning/measurements)  and careful execution of the procedure will be key. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.