Pain when Pressing on Crown After Loading of Dental Implant Crown?

I had a 2nd implant done on tooth 8. went through a bone graft waited 4 months then implant placement and waited another 8 months. All seemed well - x-rays looked good. Abutment torqued ok and no movement according to the dentist. as soon as the dentist put a temp crown on I experienced some pain in the tooth with pressure. Neither my dentist of oral surgeon seem to know what is wrong. Had my bite adjusted many times and now the tooth moves slightly. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Pain And Movement With Implant

It sounds as though your surgeon gave significant time for integration of the implant, but the pain and movement is concerning.  I believe that the implant could be failing and you should see your surgeon right away.  A 3D CT scan may be able to shed some light on what is happening.  Either the bite needs to be adjusted again or the implant is failing.  These are the only two explanations.  Good luck.  

Pain on dental implant

From my experience when you have pain on an implant it usually means that the implant is failing especially when you load the tooth.  Do you know why the first implant failed

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

Implant crown problem

Hello, from you brief expalnation I see there are  2 problems.

1. Pain

2. Movement

If implant and crown was done according to the protocol you should not experience pain. The only temporary incomfort is possible during final delivery of the crown if the crown has wider emergency profile and is pushing on the tissue. That usually goes away in 10-20 min. The same applies to the temporary restoration too. So if that was some temporary pain and then it went away and tissue looks healthy - you are good. If you still experiencing pain on the pressure that is not good. Implants are very unique restorations- if everything is well they do not heart, and if there is something wrong they also do not hurt a lot.. pain is the symptom of failure.

Now movement of the tooth taht you are experiencing can be caused by 2 things: one - loose screw that's holding components of the implant crown together, and second - movement of the implant. If the screw is loose that is an easy fix for restorative specialist. If the implant is loose you will need a good surgeon to remove, graft the site and place another one (if it is possible). Good luck!

Zina Kaleinikova, DDS, MS
Cleveland Dentist

Pain , dental implant mobility

It is not normal to have pain on implant.  A mobile implant is a failed implant.  However, before making this diagnosis , you have to see your dentist and have the crown removed. Maybe it is the crown that is moving and not the implant?  Abutment could have been over torqued, the screw holding the abutment could be broken ....

Also if there was no pain ever on the implant before the crown was inserted, the pain you are experiencing could be due to some soft tissue trapped between the implant and the abutment part?  Have that ruled out. 

You have to see your dentsit Asap. The longer you wait with loose parts on implant, the more damage to the implant and bone. 

Elly Tehrani, DMD, MSD
Toronto Periodontist

Dental implant pain

My recommendation, its to visit your dentist, and tell him to uncover the implant again, i mean to remove the crown, and check the screw, and torque,sometimes, even with torque, it can get loose,again, and check the profile margin layout, this can be pressing the gums, and causing pain and discomfort.

Pain and Movement with New Implant

Hi Beekie..sorry to hear this and the prognosis does not sound good. There should be no pain and no movement and it sounds like the implant is failing. Go back to your surgeon and see what he says. We have a 3D CT and it should show you what is happening.  Hope you resolve this since it seems like everything was done correctly!  Good luck!