Chin lipo: Incisions below the ears?

To remove excess fat from someone chin they make three little incisions right below the both ears, and that is how they remove the fat from the persons neck? Let's say someone has very little fat, can the procedure take less than an hour to complete? After the procedure would there be any stitches that would be needed to stitch the areas where the incisions were made? After all this is done how long will the downtime be?

Chin liposuction

Thank you for your question. Chin liposuction is a very safe and simple procedure to remove that small area of fat below the chin. The incision for this procedure is below the chin. I make an incision about the size of my liposuction cannula (4mm). I do make an incision at the earlobe for some patients to remove fat in the jowl area, but this is not necessary for chin liposuction. I prefer to perform this procedure in the office with sedation. The results are immediate and dramatic as opposed to treatment with Kybella which requires several weeks before there is any noticeable improvement. The tiny incision is closed with 1 dissolvable stitch.  Best of luck.

Ventura Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Incisions for chin liposuction

I make small incisions just behind each earlobe and under the chin. This allows me to remove fat in multiple directions which produces a better result. The incisions are 5-7mm and are very well hidden. Given their location they are very hard to see unless the earlobe is pulled forward or someone is looking at your chin from below. Once they have faded ( this may take up to a year and a half ) they are even more difficult to see.

Charles T. Slack, MD
Mckinney Plastic Surgeon

Chin lipo with incisions below ears

best liposuction is accomplished when the liposuction wand is passed through many crosshatching directions to avoid trenching. My personal preference is to poke a small hole behind the earlobes as well as under the chin so that I have access from multiple directions. Yes, the procedure takes less than an hour to complete and I rarely go to the operating room for just chin lipo. It is often added on with another cosmetic procedure. I put a small non-absorbable suture in each entry point to tack it closed, but loosely so that the tumescent can leak out during the first 24 hours. Downtime for just chin lipo is fairly short - 3/4 days, but since this is usually combined with another procedure, it all depends. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Chin lipo: Incisions below the ears?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using liposuction and/or chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your lower face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  

Liposuction of the fat in the neck can be done using a small entry placed directly below the chin to remove fat that is just located below the chin.  To liposuction the entire neck, two small entry points are made below and slightly behind the earlobes.  If the chin is weak, reducing the fat will not provide the harmony and balance to the lower face that a chin implant will provide.

Hope this helps.

Chin lipo: Incisions below the ears?

Liposuction of the chin or submental area is most often performed with one or two tiny incisions under the chin in my practice.  Occasionally it is desirable to also approach it from the ear lobe but this is less common.  Most of the procedure time is allowing for numbing from injection of the tumescent fluid so that patients are comfortable.  The actual liposuction procedure may require as little as 10 to 30 minutes to perform once the area is completely anesthetized.  Wearing a compressive headband helps to support the attachments of the skin to the overlying muscle and reduce swelling. We have our patients where compressive support for 5 to 7 days.  I hope this helps.  Best of luck

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Chin liposuction

The liposuction incisions are place where the fat is located under the chin. The placement may be directly in the center under the chin or back by the ears if there is fullness there.  The procedure usually takes 30 minutes or less, depending on how much has to be taken off. There is usually one stitich placed in each incision and that comes out in a week.  For a small area of liposuction the downtime is minimal, the only thing that may prolong it is bruising if you do not want anyone to know you had it done.  You could go back to work the next day if you really wanted to. Good luck with your decision.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Chin lipo

The placement of the incisions depends on where exactly the fat is.  If it is just under the chin, then often it can all be done via a very small chin incision.  If the angle of the jaw needs to be more defined, then a very small incision will be hidden in the earlobe crease.  One small stitch is removed a week later.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Neck liposuction

Doctors very in their approach to wear openings are made for liposuction in the neck is no different.

I personally make a small incision just under the chin in the midline and only make incision is underneath your lobes when needed.

The procedure should generally take less than one hour.

One started at Chin and neck liposuction surgery usually takes me 20 minutes.

I usually do not put stitches in the incisions but some plastic surgeons do.

Recovery is usually quite easy with minimal bruising.

Sometimes patients will bleed when having a liposuction.

When this happens patients can develop bruising and sometimes the bruising can be significant.

Recovery is an ongoing process that potential he takes many months.

Most patients should see you in a very nice improvement within the first few days and results are close to final within a few weeks.

Small amount of swelling may persist for several months after the procedure.

When patients bruise the signs of having had surgery may be present for 10 or at the most 14 days.

Patient who bruise may also show bruising below the neck on the front of the chest as gravity pulls the fluid down.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Chin liposuction incisions

There are two deposits of fat above and below the platysma muscle. Liposuction will only remove the fat component above the muscle. Surgery is required to remove the fat below the muscle. This is considered a neck lift in our practice, but there is no skin removal. A platysma plasty is required after the fat removal from underneath the muscle. Both procedures require  a small incision underneath the chin and one behind the ear. For more information and many before-and-after examples,  please see the link and the video below