How long after liposuction will I be able to travel 3 hours by car?

I'm getting liposuction done on 12 areas next month and live 3 hours away from the center. The coordinator has only mentioned that I should arrive one day before and stay for at least 2 days after. Would I to take a 3 hours ride back home after 2 days? Stopping every hour to walk around a bit is not a problem and I won't be the one driving.

Generally speaking, it's best after this large of procedure to remain close to the Doctor a slow as possible. We have many patients from all over the country, including South Florida and Miami area and it's best to stay as long as possible for safety.

Travel to Orlando after lipo

Many patients from Orlando have their surgery in Miami. Most do stay two nights after surgery as that second night here makes a BIG difference in the quality of your (and your driver's!) trip back home. The most important factor, which you seem to have already been informed of, is the necessity of the frequent stops to perform your DVT prevention "exercises". This really is important and not "overkill".

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Traveling after liposuction

Traveling by car does not seem unreasonable if you are willing to get up and walk each hour for several minutes.  During recovery from any surgery, resuming normal activity such as walking helps with recovery.  It would also be beneficial to try to keep your legs elevated.Doing 12 areas of liposuction at the same time seems like a lot!  Please make sure that this is within safety limits, as large amounts of liposuction can be considered dangerous if not properly cared for afterwards.  Please make sure your surgeon is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery; otherwise, seek a 2nd opinion by someone who is.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Driving after Liposuction surgery

Thanks for your inquiry. After two days you should be able to drive back home ( as you said, stoping every hour or so to walk around ) Best confirm this information with your surgeon for his or her post operative instructions. Regards,

Time after surgery before travel

Each surgeon has different guidelines for postoperative care. While in many cases this can be permissable, your surgeon should guide you as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Liposuction - how soon can I travel ?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • You may be find to be driven home after two days, but the center doing your surgery needs to advise you.
  • Why? The safety of travel depends a lot on your health and how much fat is removed -
  • So there is not one answer that suits everyone.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS