Is there such thing as an hourglass tummy tuck? Are they done in Florida?

They seem too good to be true. I see that only one man does them in Houston.

Goal of All Abdominoplasties Is an Hourglass Figure

Don't buy into the hype which some doctors put on their website. Abdominoplasty, especially combined with liposuction will achieve an hourglass figure. When we plicate  your rectus muscles in the midline, it pulls the sides of your abdomen toward the middle. Occasionally a patient will require some additional sutures more laterally, but not usually. Many times the tissue laterally is not strong enough to support additional tension anyway. You don't have to go to Florida for an hourglass figure.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

It always amazes me how we try to give a new name to a standard procedure.Yes we do this and there are many surgeons who do.They may not call it an hourglass but the results are the same.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Yes if you like 'marketing names' for a standard TT with waist liposuction.............................

Thank you for your question.  There are many marketing tools used to differentiate one surgeon's practice from another in the hopes of creating a "niche." In most instances the differences are in name only.  Best thing is to see a couple of board certified plastic surgeons for treatment opinions and if they hold themselves to perform a procedure a particular way, ask them how it is different than the standard technique.

The hourglass tummy tuck- is misleading. It is a basic abdominoplasty with liposuction of the flanks, which we all do- plus fat transfer to the hips to create the illusion that there is an hourglass look, which means that the waste looks smaller then the hips. If you have a straight flank to hip anatomy- it is a challenge to create a larger hip to give the look of an hourglass. If you do not have the bone structure to support the hourglass look it will be a challenge to create it with fat transfer to the hip+ plus there will additional costs associated with fat transfer.

Tummy tuck question

Vast majority of surgeons tighten the rectus muscle anyway to create an hourglass appearance. If you are considering buttock augmentation at the same time, you may want to contact surgeons who do these procedures individually. I do not recommend these operations at the same time to my patients because difficult recovery process. Good luck. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon