Should I get fillers or fat transfer for under my eyes? (Photo)

I'm only 23 and I have very hallow eyes that make me look like I'm much older. Make up can barely cover them, and it takes layers upon layers of makeup. I've been reading on which treatment to get, and I am kinda scared for fillers even though it is more cheap than fat grafting. It seems like there are more side effects with fillers vs fat grafting. Would restylane be a better option if I chose to get fillers?

Should I get fillers or fat transfer for under my eyes?

Fillers are temporary and must be injected by an experienced eyelid surgeon to be safe. Fat grafting is a more permanent and accurate solution. Please read below:

Fillers versus Fat Transfers

Fillers would be my first choice - either Restylane or Belotero - for the delicate under eye area. I would combine it with the special eye tip for eMatrix to help rejuvenate the skin.  I would not do fat transfer as there are too many complications and much more difficult to correct if there is a problem.  Best, Dr. Green

Filler or Fat transfer

If you are looking for something more permanent then you should consider doing a fat transfer under the eyes. Fillers do work but you would need to come back every couple of months and have them redone. You may want to consult with your doctor and see what they say. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD

though fat injections have been done longer, the complication rate is much higher and those complications are difficult to fix.

In addition if you gain weight during the course of your life, the injected fat will grow leaving a fat pad that looks worse than the one you were trying to fix, Very difficult to correct.

HA fillers like restylane are the fillers of choice, They last up to 4 years in the lower lid, two for sure.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for tear troughs

Fillers are less invasive than fat transfer.  HA fillers such as Restylane can be reversed if needed.  Fat cannot be reversed.  I would recommend starting with fillers.  The most important thing is the experience, skill, and judgement of your injector.  As I like to say, "It's the filler, not the filler."  Meaning that the person injecting is more important than the actual product being injected.  I do prefer Restylane under the eyes because it causes less swelling than Juvederm.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers or fat under the eyes

In my experience and from the patients I have seen over the years fillers are much better than fat injections. even though fillers are not very long lasting in the right hands the look is better than with fat and the side effects are fewer. Be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Lower lids

bestbetty, get fillers until you are ready for surgery and then see someone that is familiar with a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty". Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon