How do I know if my implants have dropped?

It has been a month and a half, I think they have dropped but I am not fully sure. My doctor has moved so I can't go to his office and ask. How would I know if they have actually fully dropped?

What you really what to know....

.....is whether they have dropped "enough".  The bottom line is that you should look at the position of the implants and decide if you like the amount of fullness on top (if it is still too much, then you want them to drop more).  If you're happy with where they are sitting, then it is time to LOCK THEM IN.  This means it is time to wear a supportive brassiere that gives a little lift to the breasts.  However, if you do want them to drop some more, then stay in a loose top such as a cami top or tank.  Wearing a tight bra before they drop with keep them from settling into a better position.

Because of my technique and postop regimen, most of my patients will have their implants in the desired location within 6-8 weeks.

Hang it there.  Things should work out.

Best of luck.

Implants settle over time

and if you've reached a point where you don't want any more settling, support with a bra is needed for months to allow your tissue to 'secure' itself.  If your implants are excessively full on top, then you should be doing things to help them settle faster.  Your surgeon should have transferred your care to someone else as surgeon's can't simply leave and abandon their patients so find out who that is and seek further advice.

Curtis Wong, MD

Have my implants dropped?

Thank you for your question.  It takes approximately 3-6 months for the implants to heal completely and settle/drop.  Give yourself that time to really heal before you see your final results from your augmentation.

If you would like to read more information regarding breast augmentation and the recovery process, you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at aBetterBreast.com.

Best of luck to you.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. 

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result.  

Generally, patients know that the breast implants have dropped into their final position once the implants have "rounded out" the lower breast poles, and the breasts demonstrate  appropriate aesthetics ( volume of breast implant below nipple/areola complexes in relation to volume of breast implants above nipple/areola complexes).

If in doubt, seek in-person evaluation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. Best wishes.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling? Implants Drop?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

How do I know if my breast implants have dropped?

It usually takes at least 3 months for implants to drop.What you want to see is the fullness of the breast change from above the nipple to below the nipple areola. Call your surgeons office and ask about breast displacement exercises.