Asian Eyelid Surgery: crease too high and uneven (5 weeks post op). (photos)

I am now 5 weeks post op and most of the swelling is gone, but my creases still appear extremely high and the incisions are uneven in height and shape, the scars are also red, bumpy and raised. My eyes don't look Asian or natural at all. I am so distressed and depressed. What can I do?

Unhappy with Asian eyelid surgery

Thank you for sharing your concerns. It is relatively too early to determine final results of your eyelid surgery. Give it more time to heal. Sometimes a trick to improve appearance can be performed with use of Restylane. Wait at least 6 months to determine proper mode of treatment (if needed.)  Good luck,

Upper Eyelid Healing

Thanks for your question and the photos.  Initial swelling and bruising after surgery is normal and can cause alot of stress for patients.  Your crease height will continue to drop as you heal.  Please keep in mind that the healing process can take up to six months.  After six months, you will have an idea of what the crease looks like. I recommend being patient and following up closely with your surgeon. Best wishes!

Umeng David Thao, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Give it a bit more time before contemplating revision surgery

The crease seems a bit high and unnatural right now but 5 weeks post-op is still relatively early.  The swelling will continue to subside and the eyelids will look less puffy and the skin will appear less tense in the months to come.  The incision is usually red and bumpy at this point and that's why scar management is so important.  You can apply scar gel and perform scar massage daily to improve the appearance of the scar.  The redness typically will subside in about 6 months.  If at 6 months, you are still not happy with the outcome, you may discuss with your surgeon for a revision or get a second opinion from other plastic surgeons.  Good luck!

Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

Crease too high after Asian eyelid surgery

Thank you for the photo.  I does look a bit high but you are very early in the healing process.  Over the next three to six months you'll notice things improve.  The height of the visible crease will decrease but we can't say how much yet.  At the moment you need to only wait.  Keep in close contact with your surgeon and it doesn't hurt to get second opinions.  I would be cautious about anyone who encourages you to have a revision surgery any time soon.  That'd be a bad idea and there are so few of us who perform Asian eyelid surgery regularly.  

I know it's stressful but do not rush into anything.

Chase Lay, MD

Asian eyelid surgery specialist

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery recovery

Significant swelling is normal and to be expected after Asian eyelid surgery, especially if an incisional technique was used.  Once the initial swelling resolves in 1-3 months the crease (if properly created during surgery) should become better defined.

Donald B. Yoo, MD