Silicone Granulomas : Options to treat lumps / overcorrection from medical grade Silikon 1000 microdroplets for acne scars?

I've had silicone microdroplets injected to elevate acne scars and unfortunately have been faced with overcorrection in some spots, resulting in visible lumps. I've had some mixed results with kenalog injections, but the bumps always return after a couple of months. Can dermabrasion or ablating with a C02 laser flatten these bumps? Or would I be better off getting injections of kenalog / 5-FU indefinitely every few months?

Doctor Answers 3

Silicone complications and removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I am a national expert on silicone complications and have had experience in the safe removal of silicone from the face. You may need surgical excision. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Silikon 1000 Granulomas

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a very difficult thing to treat.  Most of the time I find myself subcising and doing kenalog with 5FU along with fractional nonablative laser or radiofrequency treatments.  If this doesnt do it, then surgical removal is the best option.  I suggest getting at least one of them biopsied and cultured.  Find someone who is an expert in treating this.  Typically that is someone who injects Silikon or a lot of fillers and uses lasers. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

Very difficult to treat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Granulomas that result from silicone injection are very difficult to treat.  In our office, we try steroid injections as the first step.  If this method is not successful, we usually excise the area and perform a plastic surgery closure to minimize the scarring.  Make sure you see a doctor with experience in handling this type of problem.  Good Luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.