What Are Options for an Adult with a Small Jaw to Improve Profile and Bite?

When I was 25 yrs old, I went to an orthodontist to ask for treatment options for what I thought was an overbite. He said that my top teeth are straight but that my lower jaw is to small. He also pointed out that I have both mandibular and palatal tori but didn't mention how this might effect treatment. What are options to improve my facial profile, improve my bite, reduce jaw pain from having a poor bite, and not break the bank?

Doctor Answers 2

Short jaw

First, you probably need special x-rays of your face to performn cephalometrics.  This is a way for the surgeon to evalutate the proportions of your face. You  may need a chin advancement in combination with a jaw advancement using  a sagittal split osteotomy. 

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Overbite and options for correction of a small jaw (micrognathia)

Unfortunately most options are costly but may be partially covered by some insurance plans. Your best choice for long term correction is likely to be either a Sagittal Split Osteotomy with Mandibular advancement or Distraction Osteogenesis. I know that sounds like a bunch of gobbledy gook so I would go to a qualified oral surgeon to discuss your options.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.