What's the Best Option for Extremely Crowded Teeth?

Including "fang" looking teeth on top. 50yr female. Dont think braces will be the answer since I have seen teeth becoming crooked again in adults after the use of braces.

Doctor Answers 6

Extreme crowding is difficult to treat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Braces, Braces with surgery, would be the first thing I would look into. You could also look into Invisalign, or Veneers, as well as a combination of Invisalign/braces with Veneers. Veneers are a great option if the teeth need some enchancement too (ie. the color, or replacing old fillings with nice looking porcelain). If you have been living just fine with the bite you have you may not need to change that with braces and surgery. Before doing veneers on severe crowding, I always offer braces as an option. Go to my website and look at the case under veneers then uneven or crooked teeth.

Bellevue Dentist

Dentofacial Orthopedics plus Braces or Invisalign probably can correct your problem.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have extreme crowding, braces or Invisalign alone may not be the answer.  Bone structure may be inadequate to hold a great final result.  Dentofacial orthopedics can be the answer.  Although not used or even understood by many orthodontists or dentists, DFO can allow safe, reliable and permanent corrections to deficient facial bone structures.  My new book (almost completed) "Straight Talk about Crooked Teeth" will go into the rational for this technique.  It also  includes many case reports to back up the "Straight Talk"..

Invisalign works for crowded and "fang" teeth.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Invisalign is a great solution for correction of crowded teeth. Whether Invisalign or regular braces are used, it is necessary to follow-up with retainers to be sure the teeth stay in their corrected position. Why? Because just like other parts of our bodies, teeth continue to change throughout our lifetime. Retainers can be made virtually invisible, just like Invisalign, and can usually be used just during sleeping-hours. Celebrate your 50th year by giving yourself the gift of a beautiful, healthy smile!

R. William McNeill, DDS, MS
Mercer Island Orthodontist

Best option for very crowded teeth.....50 years old woman

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I totally understand how you feel and i would highly recommend invisalign!  You would be a great candidate for this procedure and i think with the right general dentist or orthodontist, you will be able to achieve the results you want even with your front teeth.  With the invisalign procedure, your dentist can walk you through a 3 dimensional demonstration of the before and after and what you will achieve as the end result.  invisalign is the clear way to straighten your teeth and it would work well for you!  I currently have three women in their 50's who are just finishing up this procedure with me and are delighted with their outcome!  Good Luck!

Robert Fields, DDS
Van Nuys Dentist

Invisalign is great for adults your age..!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Even very crowded teeth can be straightened with Invisalign. They are easier to wear and you can remove them for proper cleaning and hygiene appointments. No brackets to worrry about...

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist

Braces are great option for crowded teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi. Braces are a great option for crowded teeth. I would recommend that you see an orthodontist who can evaluate your bite and amount of crowding. He or she will then best be able to discuss treatment options as well as if you need any teeth extracted to relieve the crowding. After your treatment it is important that you wear your retainers so that your teeth don't shift.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.