Tummy Tuck - Binder

I was told to roll up a wash cloth and put in in the middle of stomach halfway above and below the belly button then put the binder on! Any ideas as to why? I feel it is making a dent in the middle of my stomach. Responses appreciated.

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and photo.It is always best to clarify with your chosen surgeon.

Tummy Tuck - Binder

I'm not sure why your surgeon asked you to do this. It is always best to clarify with your chosen surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Use of a rolled towel in addition to abdominal binder

If you feel that this modification of your Binder is causing problems or if you do not understand the reason for its use, I would strongly suggest you discuss the matter with your plastic surgeon. It is difficult to ascertain exactly what they're trying to achieve but they may have a very specific reason to suggest this.

It is imperative that you seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Binders after tummy tucks

are used routinely by all but some like to put foam or other products under the binder to give a more uniform compression.  If you feel it is impacting your results in a bad way, you should ask your surgeon for clarification as to why you were told to do that.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck - Binder

Dear, Lorgia
Each plastic surgeon can differ in his/her surgical technique and post-op protocol.
I advise my patients to wear binder/compression garment; however, I do not ask my patients to place a roll up wash cloth underneath.  Perhaps, you plastic surgeon want you to have a dent in the middle as an added compression? It would be best to ask your plastic surgeon for the reasoning.
Good luck with your recovery.

Tummy Tuck Binder

Every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol so your surgeon would be best equipped to answer this. However, my guess is that it is to ensure uniform healing. But if you feel as if it's making dents, you need to share this information with your surgeon. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Tummy Tuck - Binder !

Surgeons vary in their aftercare protocols following tummy tuck surgery.
An abdominal binder is usually used to provide compression and allow healing in a uniform way. 
It may be a good idea to discuss your concern with your surgeon and have these dented areas checked out. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

Tummy Tuck - Binder

It sounds like your surgeon wants extra pressure applied, but too much can create it's own problems as well. I would clarify these instructions and be sure you understand what the goal is. Patients can be quite creative with solutions as well, so if you are concerned with what is happening with the washcloth by all means talk to your doctor.
Good luck!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon