21 years of age with an obvious v shape hair loss! Can FUE be an option for couple of sessions if donor area is thick?

Thinking about why at this age i had too have hair loss is just killing me day by day, on propecia right now been 2 weeks,seem like lost a little bit more hair since on it, i know at my age it is not reccomnded for fue but is there any luck, father side i get my appearance from and there donor areas are good and thick, any chance at all? Thank you

Hair loss at age 21

It's important to have your hair loss evaluated by an experienced doctor.  Then your hair loss needs to be medically managed, stabilized, and then you can discuss surgical options.  Surgery should never be the first choice.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplants - not an option at 21.

It's great you've started finasteride (Propecia). It is quite normal to get a bit more loss in the first 6 weeks of using it.

Hair comes from mom's side and dad's side. We might resemble on parent more than another but genetics most certainly comes from both sides

Most men at 21 have thick donor areas - even those who go on to be quite bald. At 21 it would simply be a guess as to what your future hair loss patterns will be.

Hair transplants are rarely rarely a good option before 25. It is important to understand how you will do on finasteride (Propecia) and also understand what sort of progression you will have (if any). I know it feels like a good idea to consider a transplant, but it's probably not.

Hair Transplant Candidacy in Young Patients

Considering Propecia at your age is reasonable as this can help to thicken your current hair and retard/prevent future hair loss. It is not unusual to see some shedding after starting this medication, but this is a temporary phenomenon. I would not advise a surgical procedure at your age. Your pattern and rate of hair loss is unpredictable at this time, and it is best to wait until you are older before considering a surgery.

Robert M. Bernstein, MD

Can I have a FUE procedure for my hair loss?

Yes, it sounds like you are a good candidate for the FUE procedure that I do. I use the back and sides of the hairline which needs to be buzz cut(but rather fashionable). We can usually transplant about 2000-2500 grafts. It takes about 6+ hours in our certified operating room and is done mostly under a local anesthetic. The price is about $6 per graft. The donor area grows in quite quickly but it takes time(months) for the hair to grow in.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

If you have genetic hair loss in a "V" pattern sometime referred to a Norwood 3, you may be a hair transplant candidate.

If you have genetic hair loss in a "V" pattern sometime referred to a Norwood 3, you may be a hair transplant candidate.  But you would need to see a doctor for a proper exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

V shaped hair loss in 21 year old male

You need to see a doctor. The change from a concave hairline to a V shaped hairline is the maturing effect of hairline in most men that occurs between ages 20-29. A doctor specializing in this field will tell you if that is what is happening to you. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant candidate

Hair transplant is not recommended until the cause of hair loss is established. At this time it is a good idea to stay on a medical regiment routine to slow down the progression.  However you can visit with a hair restoration specialist to get evaluated and come up with a comprehensive plan if your hair loss continues.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Visit a doctor

It is not a great idea to get a hair transplant at your age and at the very beginning of your hair loss. Hair loss is progressive and a hair transplant is permanent. You may end up with a ring of hair around your head and baldness in the center if you were to get a transplant. It is important to start preventative measures. Propecia is a good step. You could also try vitamins and certain shampoos depending on your specific hair loss. You need to get the hair loss under control before considering a hair transplant. FUE or strip can be an option once these measures are taken. It would be best to visit a doctor that specializes in hair loss so that they can examine your scalp, determine the cause of your hair loss, and then come up with a treatment plan customized to you.  

John Kahen, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon