Can I do FUE hair transplant before my major surgeries?

Rhinoplasty + Maxillo facial. I know these change my facial structure.. Could I get my hairline done prior to these surgeries or would it be best to wait?

Nose job and an FUE procedure...which procedure should I do first?

Dear amnartinez94993,

Thank you for posting this question. I’m a facial plastic surgeon as well as a hair restoration surgeon, so this question is right up my alley. It doesn’t matter whether you have the facial surgery or the hair surgery first, but it would be important to wait about 3 weeks to a month in between the procedures to make sure that the wounds from the first procedure are healed and will not be damaged or infected or otherwise disturbed in the second procedure.

The one exception is a brow lift, with either a trichophytic or endoscopic approach. If a patient was planning on having one of these procedures, I would advise that the facial surgery be performed first, and then wait 6 weeks following surgery to perform the hair transplant. This is because of the incisions that will occur in and around the frontal hairline with these two types of brow lifting.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Surgery before others

You can absolutely have your hair restoration procedure performed prior to your rhinoplasty, etc.  I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks after the hair transplant surgery before having another surgery.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

You can have multiple cosmetic surgeries, but you need to coordinate your plan with all the doctors involved.

You can have multiple cosmetic surgeries, but you need to coordinate your plan with all the doctors involved.  You may find that some doctors may have an objection.  You just need to ask.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Facial Surgery and Hair Transplant

It depends on the type of your facial procedure.  Some may affect your hairline such as upper face lift procedures.  I recommend my patients who want to undergo a face lift wait at least 6 months before their hair transpalnt.  Hair transplant can fix some of the problems that may happen after facelift such as temporal hair loss or scarring.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Can I get FUE hair transplants before other surgeries and how much does it cost?

Yes, you most certainly can and I would even recommend it. The reason is that it will take a good 6-9 months for your hair to start growing. There is an initial growth for about the first month and it stops and sometimes falls out and begins growing again several months. If you have not had any transplants done, then we can do about 2500 hairs in one session. We do need to buzz cut the back and sides of your head to obtain the grafts but this usually regrows and heals within about a week or so. It is a long process and for that amount of transplants takes about 6 plus hours. Our cost is $6 per graft. We do offer several financing options and even if you do not qualify for any, then we have in house financing. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant timing

If you are going to have other facial surgeries and you want to have an FUE transplant, you should space it by about 3 weeks so that the recipient sites have fully healed and can not be disturbed.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairtransplant before other major surgery

You can do your hair line hair transplant one week before your other major surgeries to give it time for your donor and hairline to be healed.  It is a good idea to do a in person consultation to discuss it, but we have done it before and within one week there was no problem. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon