Is it okay to have a large, hard mass on inner thigh after Liposuction of thighs? (photos)

I am 17 days post op from a liposuction procedure of my thighs, both inner and outer along with the banana roll. I have a large mass on my inner thigh, near my private area that you can visually see and touch. I went to see my doc who informed me that this is a result of some fat being pushed down and not suctioned out. He told me to massage the area. I am concerned because it is somewhat unsightly. Will this correct on its own or will further surgical intervention be needed? Otherwise, no lumps or bumps.

Lump after liposuction

Thank you very much for the query. Often there is an inflammatory reaction in the early postoperative period after liposuction that leads to feeling of firmness in areas which often settle down over time. Sometimes this may also occur from a blood collection (hematoma) or serous fluid collection ( seroma). Uncommonly infection may present in this way but is often associated with fever and local areas of redness and pain. It could also be a small area of fat that unfortunately was not sucked out- this can happen because  before liposuction a lot of fluid is injected inside the tissues and then the fat is sucked out: it is only when the injected fluid gets absorbed over time that this area of fat becomes evident. An ultrasound examination will help to determine the cause in case after a clinical examination your surgeon feels the need to do one and put your doubts to rest.best wishes and speedy recovery!!!!Dr Alexander G

India Plastic Surgeon

Lump 2 weeks after liposuction

Lumps and bumps a few weeks after liposuction can be normal due to swelling but also could be related to a lymph node or fluid / blood collection.  It is best to have the area evaluated regularly for improvement.  Fluid collections usually start within a few days and will get worse, these usually need to be drained regularly until they resolve.  If it is related to swelling or fat necrosis, it should resolve on its on or may need to be injected with steroids if it is longer lasting.  Follow up with your physician to be evaluated again; if you don't feel comfortable with the response and the area continues to be a problem, consider a second opinion.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Lump in Leg After Liposuction....What Is It?

Thank you for your question regarding a leg/groin lump after liposuction.The lump could represent a fluid collection, fat necrosis, or even a swollen lymph node.I would ask your surgeon to evaluate it regularly, and consider aspirating it if it is appropriate.Most often, these areas improve. If it is a fluid collection, aspirating it will make it better immediately!
Best wishes,Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Lump after Lipo

Thank you for your question. It is possibly a fat necrosis and usually get better over a period of 3 months. Massage or venus legacy may help, but you need to talk to your surgeon. Please follow instructions and re evaluate in 3 months.

Inner thigh liposuction large, hard mass at day 17

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • At least in the photo, it doesn't look like fat - nor would fat in an untreated area be hard.
  • It may be fat necrosis or  a small fluid collection (seroma.) 
  • If it does not improve in a week, return to your surgeon to discuss aspiration for fluid and/or a steroid injection for inflammation.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS