Compression stockings after tummy tuck, knee-high, what gradient is best?

At my preop, I was advised to get Jobst knee-high compression stockings 10-20 mmHg. These are almost impossible to find. Would 15-20 mmHg be ok? How long are these to be worn after surgery? Thanks for your time.

Compression Stockings After TT

Compression stockings are an important component in reducing the risk of deep venous thrombosis after long surgeries as are sequential compression devices during surgery.  I don't think buying stockings with more compression would be a problem, but you should call your surgeon's office, tell them you can't find the type they recommended and ask if the ones you found are satisfactory.  In our office we give them to the patients on the day of surgery.

It is equally important that you get out of bed and walk a short ways several times a day.  Even a trip to the bathroom, out to the kitchen or around the room is fine.  Walking is the best way to get the circulation going in your legs.

Compression stockings

Thank you so much for your question about compression stocking gradients.

Every surgeon has a different preference and patient conditions change too.
You have to ask your surgeon what is right for you - and explain that you cannot find what s/he recommended.

I ask my patients to get 20-30 mm Hg for deep venous support and to wear them for 2 weeks, until after the two peaks of deep vein thrombosis risk.

Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Tummy Tuck and Compression stockings

I normally advice firm underwear's such as Magic Knickers which help to hold the abdomen in. I advice the patients to buy one from M&S or Primark prior to surgery to suit the patient's body habits. It is important that it is not too tight prior to surgery and the garment should be snugly fitting. The compression should not be too much as it may interfere with the healing. 

Mehboob Ali, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Compression Stockings

Ask your plastic surgeon, since preferences like compression stockings will vary surgeon to surgeon and also patient to patient, depending on individual risk factors.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon