How long after a full tummy tuck before I should stop walking hunched over?

I was told that I would walk hunched over for approx a week or more. It's been a week since my surgery and I don't go back to the dr. for follow up for another week. I've heard that I'm suppose to "listen" to my body, what do I listen for?

Tummy Tuck Recovery

While many surgeons ask their patients to walk hunched over or bent at the waist for a week, my practice has been to encourage you to walk upright and as normally as possible, as soon as possible.  This allows you to recover faster which is what I believe that most people want.  In addition, the faster you get going, the less risk there is of problems like blood clots developing in your legs, which can be lethal and is a real concern in abdominoplasty surgery.  There is nothing in the literature that suggests that walking hunched over will help or improve your results.

You should always check with your surgeon of course but I would personally encourage you to get moving as much as possible after surgery and walk upright.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Hunching over

Usually, people will walk with their waist bent for two weeks.  It really depends on how tight the abdominal skin is after surgery.  "Listen" for sensations of pain or stretching.  If it feels painful or tight when you try to straighten your stance, it could be too early.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

It is always best to follow your plastic surgeons post op instructions.

I usually tell my patients to stay hunched over for 2 weeks. After that they should gently start going back to their normal posture while "listening to their body". Do not do anything sudden or rush this process it will happen with time. It is always best to follow your plastic surgeons post op instructions. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Becoming fully upright after Tummy Tuck

Up right walking after Tummy tucks vary patient to patient due to the tightness of the tuck, the elasticity of the patient, and the patients pain tolerance. 2 days to 3 0r 4 weeks in my practice. Very unpredictable but I agree to listen to your body and do not rush this occurence. It will happen naturally over time.

David Liland, MD

Hunched over after tummy tuck?

I ask my patients to walk hunched over for one week after tummy tuck.  Beyond that patients will begin to suffer from back pain  (if they did not already have it before surgery.) However, I also have my patients wear a support garment or girdle for 6 weeks after surgery, especially if they had a muscle (diastasis) repair.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure; best to run this question by your plastic surgeon as you will find that different surgeons will have different feelings about positioning/timing…  For example, in my practice, I tend to ask patients to stay flexed at the waist for several weeks (longer than other plastic surgeons). Best wishes.

Recovery after tummy tuck

Hi Dee

You should gradually begin straightening up as your body allows you to. You should experience some discomfort as everything stretches, but pushing yourself through pain is not necessary (pain is a good sign to back off)

Straightening up is important for your lungs and back, and your surgeon should have done a good job that will allow things to stretch without impacting on your scar.

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Tummy Tuck and Walking

When patients feel comfortable standing straight up after a tummy tuck varies patient to patient. Most patients feel comfortable standing straight after a week, but you should clarify with your plastic surgeon to see what he/she recommends for his/her patients. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Walking Straight After Tummy Tuck Surgery

The skin has been pulled tight to give you a flat tummy. It will ease and stretch usually in one to two weeks and then you will be able to stand and walk normally.

Miguel Delgado, MD

How long walking hunched over after a tummy tuck

Thank you so much for your question about your tummy tuck healing.

As the pain from the surgery subsides, it should be easier to walk straighter.
You never want to force this.
Some people get severe lower back pain after surgery because of being in bed so long,
and can't get straight until the lower back is stretched out.

If you are having trouble straightening or you are afraid of hurting yourself, ask your surgeon's office if you can come in earlier to be checked.

Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!