If I keep my weight up after my BBL surgery, will I still lose 30-40% of transferred fat?

if I gain weight 15 pounds extra for a bbl and keep on that weight after surgery will i still lose 30-40% of transferred fat?

Absorption Fase

Hello, thanks so much for your interesting question. Even though you try your hardest keeping a stable weight, not putting pressure in your buttocks, not sitting on them, eating healthy (protein, vitamins and minerals) there is a 20-30 % ratio of losing that fat. The swelling process is a big factor.  Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Long-term survival of fat after fat transfer

The percentage of fat that survives is irrelevant to weight loss or weight gain. Some fat cells are damaged during the harvest or grafting procedure. Some fat will not establish a new blood supply and not survive. There are multiple variables that determine what percentage of the grafted fat will survive. 20 to 30% fat loss is optimistic by most honest and realistic plastic surgeons. A 70% fat survival is possible when grafting small volumes in highly vascular areas like the face. 50% long-term fat survival it's probably as optimistic as anyone should hope for. I've seen many patients who are retained less than that. Unfortunately a handful of providers post pictures during the early recovery while results look very dramatic. Honest before and after fat transfer pictures should be done with the patients holding identical poses and be taken 6 to 12 months after the procedure. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

BBL volume loss

Great question!

Great question! There are many things that cause BBL volume loss.  Maintaining your weight is not the only component to consider .  BBL volume is affected by: nutrition availability, oxygen availability, and a low pressure environment. Obviously, you need to have a diet that delivers correct amount of vitamins and minerals to the growing fat and muscle cells, you need to obstain from ingesting caffeine and nicotine which reduces the blood supply to the growing cells. And you also need to consider the pressure inside your buttocks for the cells to grow. The most common part of the healing process that is ignored is the low pressure environment. Low pressure environment means you need to have room to grow at the cellular level. Your skin and muscle fascia needs to be soft and loose. You need to reduce the amount of skin and muscle fascia contraction which limits the overall result . Please refer to other question answers regarding and proper positioning of your buttocks during sleep (do not sleep on your stomach) and sitting to promote a low pressure environment.  

I wish you well through your procedure and recovery process,
James McAdoo DO FACOS

• AOA board-certified plastic surgeon
  •  20 years experience
  • 33,000 OR cases 

BBL fat loss after surgery, 50,60 0r 70% survival? which one is it?

Hi CurveNvy,
Thanks for your question. Weight loss or weight gain will not increase the chances of fat survival. I am not a fan of recommending weight gain or weight loss unless you are going to live at that weight before a BBL. Fat survival has to do with how the fat is processed and cared for during the procedure and after care. I recommend finding a surgeon that specializes in body contouring that hopefully process the fat in a manner that gives them good results! Good Luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #BBL #fatgrafting Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

BBL results

Regardless of weight gain or loss, you should expect to lose approximately 30% of your volume by 6 months. This is because the there will be loss of volume due to resolution of swelling. The fat that remains will be stable.

Arian Mowlavi, MD