Will my textured implants drop and fluff? (photos)

They are under the muscle size 480cc Sientra textured. My nipples are low implants are high and they slope awkward and look disconected from my actual breast. They are only a size C and I am very unhappy with the size and shape will they round out and will they look bigger. My nurse assured me I was going to be fine and they will be beautiful but right now I am having a hard time believing them.

Dropping of textured implants.

Thank you for the photos. Dropping and fluffing are not scientific terms. If you are referring to the implants dropping and then filling out the lower pole of the breast; yes, that will usually happen. You are still early in your post operative course. Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will usually drop faster than the other, and the shape may go through changes. I would wait a while before getting sized for bras. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. For example; we like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner. Please let them know your thoughts and concerns.

At just one month post-op from a breast augmentation, you are still early in your recovery phase.  I know it's hard but don't be too critical, you just had surgery. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for implants to drop and settle.  Over the next few months, they will get softer and should drop and fill out the lower pole of your breast changing the shape.  If you are not massaging yet, perhaps ask your surgeon about helping your implants drop by massaging or wearing a breast band.  Try to be patient and follow your surgeons post-op instructions and re-evaluate at that time.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Will my textured implants drop and fluff?

Yes, based on your good description and photos, I know exactly what you mean. Early on after breast augmentation surgery, patients' breasts may look square or oblong. Then, over the course of the first several weeks/months, as breast implants “settle”, tissues relax, and swelling subsides, the breasts begin to take a more rounded, "natural" look. As this process occurs, the lower poles of the breasts “round out” and the nipple/areola complexes appear higher on the breast mounds. Sometimes, this process is referred to as “dropping and fluffing”;  most patients are much happier with the appearance and size of their breasts once this phenomenon occurs. I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate evaluation, advise, and/or reassurance. Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Will shaped textured implants drop and fluff?

In my experience with the anatomic, saline implants, shaped, textured implants will "drop and fluff", but it seems to take much longer than with a smooth, round implant.  The anatomic, silicone implants have not been available long enough in this country to make a strong statement, but I suspect the healing issues will be similar.  You have not indicated how long it has been since your surgery, but I have observed that it can take a year or more for the unnatural upper pole fullness to settle down.  When this does occur, the shaped implants tend to have a beautiful long term contour.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns.  I hope this is helpful.

Drop and fluff after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Drop and fluff refers to post-operative period in which the breasts begin to descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).  Textured implants may go through a slower and less pronounced change.  I would continue to follow up with your surgeon's office.

Breasts can takes weeks to soften and drop.

Breasts can takes weeks to soften and drop. Be patient and follow your surgeons recommendations. Your breasts look as they should in an early stage of healing.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Implants dropping

Implants typically do drop over several, months after placement.  You do state how long ago your surgery was.  You need to wait about a year before considering revision.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Textered Breast Implant Shape

Thank you for your pictures.  How long ago was your surgery? It can take 3- 6 months for any implants to settle.  Textured implants are designed to stay where they are placed.  But rest assured, if you are early in your course, you will get some settling of the implant.  Textured, shaped, "Gummy bear" implants are the newest technology, but sometimes have issues as you describe.  Fortunately, time and massage can often treat some of these deformities.  I would definitely seek the counsel of your plastic surgeon to guide you on massage.

High riding implants

Your implants are riding high but they will relax within one month. you should consider placement of a breast band to promote the implants to relaxing into the pocket. Please see reference below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Textured implants dropping

You did not state how long post-op you are, but I assume it is less than 3 months. In my 40 year experience, textured implants do not drop much, if they are in a sub-pectoral position.  If they are sub-glandular,  they may fall in the first 6 months. My general impression after looking at your picture is that your implants are considerably too large for your chest,and that is why they are riding too high.  Consider changing them to 400cc.  By taking away the overstuffed look aon top, your nipples will then appear to be in their correct, natural location.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon