Can I go swimming in the Ocean 4 weeks after breast augmentation?

My wounds have healed and The strips have been taken off; I can see the incisions. So, I was just wondering if 4 weeks is enough to go back into the ocean? Not asking for hot tubs or pools etc. Just the sea

Swimming After Breast Augmentation

Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can result in an increased potential for complications. Swimming is an activity that can potentially have negative consequences if resumed too soon.

Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed. In reality, small absorbable sutures may break through the skin and become exposed. In this situation, infection could occur in a patient who is submerged in a Jacuzzi, pool, pond or ocean. Each of these environments may have unique and in many cases, antibiotic resistant bacteria that could lead to a significant infection.

In addition, plastic surgeons generally don't recommend resumption of strenuous activity for at least six weeks following breast augmentation surgery. Swimming can create significant strain on the core muscles and should, therefore, be avoided in the immediate post-operative period.

It's important to realize that every patient's procedure and post-operative course is unique. For these reasons, make sure you consult your plastic surgeon before getting into the water.

Swimming in the ocean 4 weeks post breast augmentation

It is always best to follow the recommendation of your board certified plastic surgeon as to your exercise tolerance. Your surgeon will know about your tissues, how much he had to do with the pocket, etc. When you do get the OK, make sure to wear very good sports bras. Also ease into it. Don't run a marathon the first day. We see patients post op and let them know their limitations at their appointment. Running is usually about 8 weeks out. Swimming will depend on many variables, including how strenuous your swim is going to be. Are you going to do long competitive swims in the ocean, or cooling off in the pool? Please talk to your plastic surgeon and make a plan about your exercise tolerance.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

You can but don't swim too vigorously

At 4 weeks after your surgery, you should be okay to go underwater, but don't go overboard (no pun intended). You should not strain yourself while swimming, as this can compromise your recovery. However, this is only if your surgeon says it's okay and your recovery has been going well. Please ask your surgeon for their advice.

However, please make sure you cover up your incisions from sun exposure, as not doing so can make your scars much more noticeable.

Ocean Swimming After Breast Augmentation

In general, if you have healed completely at 4 weeks you can resume all activities including swimming in the ocean. If you have any open wound or any skin breakdown I would consult your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who placed your breast implants before proceeding with any type of such activity.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Can I go in the ocean four weeks after a breast augmentation

Providing that your incisions are completely healed, then it would be OK to go in the ocean.  However, you should avoid tanning unless your incisions are completely protected with sunscreen and an adequate bathing suit because if your scars are still pink then that can become permanent with sun exposure.

Swimming 4wks post operative.

Each plastic surgeon has his or her own rules when it comes to post surgical care. You should address this question with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for your question.  It is important that you address this question to your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to properly answer you.

That said by 4 weeks most patients who have had routine breast augmentation without complication and who have normally healed incisions are able to swim in the Ocean.

Swimming after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. As long as your incisions have healed well, there should be no problem going in the ocean to cool off. I would refrain from any vigorous activity such as lengthy swims or surfing for another 2 - 4 weeks. I also caution my patients to be especially careful to apply 30+ SPF sunscreen, as your chest and breast are much more sensitive to sunburn during this healing phase. As always, consult with your surgeon if you have any questions. Good luck and enjoy your new bathing suit!

Henry F. Garazo, MD
Hagerstown Plastic Surgeon

Ocean swimming after breast reduction

It really depends upon how you healed and what your surgeon will permit. I usually allow light aerobics by 3-4 weeks and vigorous activity at 6-8 weeks.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to activity resumption after breast  augmentation surgery. From the healing standpoint most patients are able to swim again starting 3 to 6 weeks after surgery.
From the safety standpoint,  much of the timing of returning to swimming will depend on exactly what you mean by “swimming”. For some people this means wading knee-high in small waves;  for some people it may means swimming  long distances in choppy water.  For this reason, return to activities should be individualized and gradual.