Can a bear hug displace your implant or cause it to move? (photos)

In June I saw an old friend. He was drinking and gave me a huge bear hug almost took the wind out of me. Ive silicone implants since 2007. Suddenly my cleavage looks different and I feel a burning feeling in the top of my muscle. Ive been told its not symmastia, most likely tenting amd sagging since I'm 22 months post partum. I feel my right breast is moving toward the center of my chest and my breasts are looking different each day. My doctor says its nothing to be concerned about but I am.

Posts trauma breast pain

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. As always, a board certified plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Having said that, it is too difficult to give you better info without an examination. Go see another PS if you are concerned. Do not be afraid to do that. Peace of mind is a valuable thing.

I hope you found this helpful. Have a great day.

Feel bear hug changed implants

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• One can't answer your question for sure but -
  • The changes after the bear hug suggest something happened -
  • possibly you had a capsular contracture and the bear hug partially burst it.
  • If you are seeing daily changes, then take a daily photograph - in exactly the same position each time.
  • Then return to your surgeon and review the photos when the changes are clearly visible.
  • If the change is subtle, it is probably best to leave things alone.
  • If the change becomes very obvious,you are likely to need surgery to revise the pocket.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

A Bear Hug Shouldn't Affect Your Implant

Your breast implant is designed to resist even the most intense pressure from a hug. As a mother myself, my instinct is that the changes that you are experiencing are due to your pregnancy. My advice would be to make an appointment with your operating surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Can a bear hug displace your implant or cause it to move?

Dear darby242
In general, breast implants are designed to resist rupture from pressure / compression so hugs are unlikely to easily rupture your implants. Your photos do not indicate any noticeable anatomy that would suggest displacement either. IF you are concerned about implant rupture (since these are 8 yrs old) you could get an MRI to confirm implant integrity. Although I dont see any evidence of rupture, silent rupture is always a possibilty that needs to be considered.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Bear Hug and Implants

At eight years post op the capsule surrounding the implants would be unlikely to tear with a "bear Hug". The changes you are experiencing are more likely due to the stretching of the breasts with pregnancy. Follow-up with your plastic surgeon to discuss options. Good Luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Bear hug

I would agree that it is more likely your changes are related to the pregnancy as many women notice significant breast changes post partum. Continue to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon if you have ongoing pain or hardness/malposition develop.

All the best

Implants

That far out from surgery it would be highly unlikely that anything like a bear hug could misplace or damage your implants.  Likely the changes are related to your recent pregnancy.

John Burns, MD

Thank you for your photographs and questions.  After 8 years, the capsule that surrounds your implant is quite strong and does not permit much movement, unless time has stretched out this tissue.  Based on your narrative it sounds as if the hug caused some soft tissue injury resulting in your symptoms, as there is no obvious problem in your pictures.  Continue to have close follow up with your surgeon, they can provide you with reassurance.

Can a bear hug displace your implant

It would be very uncommon for a bear because displacement of an implant six weeks following the procedure. At this point in time, the pocket is usually quite strong and will withstand the stresses of a hug. It can be possible, to pull muscle which can cause discomfort and also theoretically some bleeding could affect the sensations in your breasts. It would be wise to monitor for continuing changes.