16 days after FUE hair transplant hair is falling and a lot of things like dandruff after showering (Photos)

Hello I am 16 days post FUE of 4500 grafts and after showering a lot of things like dandruff stay over the recipient area and hair is falling like in photos attached ..my doctor is saying its normal and the black heads will fall and he told me to remove them by hand ... Is this normal ... Is it the grafts which is falling ? Is their anything I can do to stop this?

It is normal to lose transplanted hairs weeks after surgery. It may take 6 to 12 months to see new hairs grow out.

It is normal to lose transplanted hairs weeks after surgery.  It may take 6 to 12 months to see new hairs grow out.  Follow up with your doctor for a recheck.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding hair, grafts and crusts

All of this is normal except losing original hair that may have been present which might reflect shock loss. See below for the best treatment for this

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding after transplant is normal

Your doctor is correct. These observations are normal at this stage of your hair transplant. The things that looks like dandruff are scabs and the hair that is falling is nothing but dead hair shafts which have no consequence on your transplant. The part that is required for the success of your transplant has been implanted into your skin. This section would hibernate and start growing at about the 4th month

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Fall And Dandruff After Hair Transplant

There is a possibility - due to operation stress - that a number of hairs will fall out in the post-operation phase. This generally temporary occurrence is known as "shock loss", and may last just a few weeks or possibly months. In certain cases, donor hairs and neighbouring hairs may fall out after a hair transplant (for instance when dense packing has been performed). This should not worry patients, as the hairs generally regrow once the shock loss period has ended. Moreover, the cell responsible for regrowth remains in the scalp even though the grafted hair falls. Regarding dandruff, scabs usually appear after a hair transplant, this is normal. You just need to make sure that both the recipient and the donor areas are as clean as possible during the postoperative period so that regrowth can be optimal. So this is very important to scrub the scabs during the shampoo. Pay attention to use your fingertips, not your nails. You can also apply sweet almond oil in order to soften the scabs.

Jean Devroye, MD
Belgium Hair Restoration Surgeon