Which one would you recommend to do first; Tummy tuck or breast augmentation? (I am not doing both at the same time)

I plan to have an under breast incision for the augmentation. I read somewhere that if a breast augmentation is done first, the scar from the augmentation will be pulled down when the tummy tuck skin is pulled down. Is this true? Thank you!!! (having both surgeries done at the same time is not an option for me)

Would I recommend a tummy tuck or breast augmentation first?

Thanks for your question.  Since you can't do them both at the same time (which would be ideal), in my opinion, you should start with the body part that bothers you more.  If it was me, I would start with the tummy tuck.  You might find that your small breasts don't bother you as much once you have a flat tummy.  It also addresses your concern of scar displacement.  Best of luck!

Choosing the right surgery first

I do not think that there are strategic reasons to complete either of the surgeries first. The concern about scar migration should not be much of an issue and certainly not one that would affect my decision about which procedure to complete first. Start with the procedure that is of most concern to you. Best wishes.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

This is a personal choice, you should do whcih ever procedure address what bothers you most. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Procedure Staging Question

Thank you for your question.  In some patients with very loose skin, the inframammary fold scar can migrate with the pull of a tummy tuck. Anchoring the scar can help with this issue to make it manageable and it is not the case in all patients.  An in person exam would be helpful.  If it remains a major concern then have the tummy tuck first and follow with the breast lift.  Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck or Breast Augmentation First?

Congratulations on your decision for surgery!  While it is ideal to do them together, it is absolutely possible to separate the 2 procedures. 

You can go about your decision on which to do first in a couple of different ways.  One way is to decide which area bothers you more.  Choose that area first.  Another way is to go with the abdominoplasty first for the exact reason you mentioned - it can move the breast implant position and/or scar lower on the chest wall.  The movement is usually minimal and relaxes over time, so it is not an absolute necessity to do the abdomen first.  But, when we are "staging" or planning multiple procedures (for example, after massive weight loss), it is wise to proceed with tightening the "core" first, meaning the abdomen.  If the breasts drive you crazy, however, it is fine to proceed with that first.  Either way you choose, it is okay.  Best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Breast aug and tummy tuck

As a general rule,if you need or prefer to stage the procedures,go with your priority,the area that bugs you most.With that said,it depends on other factors such as amount of healing time you have available eg abdominoplasty in general is going to take a bit longer to recover from.If planning future pregnancies may want to wait until after ESP for the tummy tuck

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

TT or breast augmentation first?

As you do not have the option of combining the procedures, you should decide which area is of greatest concern for you and treat that area 1st.  Although the inframammary scar from breast augmentation can be displaced lower due to the pull of the abdominoplasty, this rarely happens.  If this is of any concern to you, have the TT done 1st.  Later, when you do the breast augmentation, this won't be an issue.

Which one would you recommend to do first; Tummy tuck or breast augmentation?

It is possible to have either the breast augmentation or the tummy tuck performed first.  Although, it is possible that an inframammary scar may be displaced somewhat farther down on the breast, in most cases this is not a problem.  I would suggest having the procedure, which is your highest priority, performed first.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Which surgery to get first….

Thanks for your question.  Breast augmentation and tummy tuck are often done at the same.  If you don't wan to get them done at the same time, you should consider the followings. 1) Which area bother you more or which area you want to improve first? 2) How much downtime can you get?  I often tell my patients to address the area that they want to improve first.  Also, tummy tuck has more downtime than breast augmentation in regards to pain and activity limitation.  I encourage you to visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon to understand the potential risks, complication, limitations, pros and cons of each procedure.  Good luck!

Tummy tuck first

It is true that when a tummy tuck is performed after a breast augmentation the breast fold incision can migrate down.  When a patient chooses to have the breast augmentation first I place the incision a little above the breast fold to compensate for this.  If you do not have a preference in terms of which procedure you do first I wiuld choose to get the tummy tuck first for this very reason.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD