Which is better for scars? Kitoscell or silicone sheets scar away?

I had a BA incusion all around the Arreola and mini tummy tuck (the scar is like a c-section) 1 month ago. Healing great! Which has better effect on diminishing the scar? Kitoscell or the silicone sheets? Os could I use kitoscell and the silicone sheet on top?

Silicone sheets?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. I typically allow after 4-6 weeks postop and once fully healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Lasers may also be an option for the appearance of your scars. If still no result, consideration for lasers, steroids, or scar revision may be entertained. Best wishes!

What to use on healing scars

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over healing.

• If your incisions are healing well, you probably don't need anything. Scars improve by their own.
  • If you want to use something - ask your surgeon.
  • Silicone sheets are shown to help scars.
  • Silicone gels may help - chiefly by keeping the scar hydrated.
  • The embrace system is used to correct or prevent bad scars - you do not need it.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information is helpful. Best wishes.

Scar Concerns Following a Mommy Makeover

Your #healing will continue for 2-3 months following the procedure(s) as the #scars will be evolving. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 

Discuss scarring with your surgeon....

When patients undergo breast augmentation surgery, they’re often concerned about scarring.  A variety of treatment options have been developed to minimize adverse wound healing following this procedure.             The use of silicone sheets has recently become popular for treating post-operative scars and clinical data exists to support its use.  In addition, a large variety of topical agents have been utilized to treat scarring.  These include kitoscell, Vitamin E, Mederma, Scarguard, Silicone gel and a variety of lotions and creams.  Although these agents are popular, most of the data regarding their use is anecdotal.             It’s therefore important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon before applying anything to your wounds.  Your surgeon should be able to give you specific directions on wound management.

No evidence scar creams help the final outcome after abdominoplasty.

Silicone sheeting might physically protect a remodeling scar from trauma. It's doubtful scar creams have any benefit whatsoever.

Scar treatment

Silicone sheets have been shown in research to work on improving the appearance of scars.  Embrace is a new treatment that has shown promising results in my practice.  Perhaps you could try the Embrace for the usual 2 months and then continue with silicone gel sheets.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Any silicone-containing product is good

There are many creams and bandages out there for scars.  None of them have any magical powers but silicone has been shown to be most effective of them all so any silicone product would be good.  Is there a difference between different silicone containing products?  I do not know and I can't imagine that there would be any significant difference.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scar Recovery Gel

I have tried almost everything out there on patients over the past 20 years and in my experience I think that a relatively new product called Scar Recovery Gel is the most effective product in minimizing the appearance of scars. It is available without a prescription but usually only available through a physicians office. I will usually recommend it for all patients and have them begin applying it to a new healing scar within a week of surgery. Consult with your plastic surgeon  regarding specific insrtructions for your particular case. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Scar Management

Thank you for your question.  Silicone gel or sheeting is typically recommended for scar management. You may also want to consider a newer device called Embrace which looks quite promising.  Ketocell does not appear to be an FDA approved product and the purported mechanism of action is unclear as it seems to be proprietary.  Best wishes.