Does my contraceptive implant in my arm, affect my BBL procedure/surgery?

I have heard you're supposed to stop taking birth control prior to surgery, but I don't want to remove my implant if I don't have to.

Birth Control

Birth Control can increase the risk for blood clots with surgery.  Discuss the relative risk with your surgeon, he or she may not feel it is necessary to remove your contraception. 

Birth control and cosmetic surgery

There is a slight increase in the risk of blood clots during surgery when a patient is on birth control. I would suggest letting your doctor know so they can take the steps to decrease your risk. Such as adding aspirin or other alternatives. 

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hormone therapy and BBL

Hormone therapy may increase your risk of clot formation. You need to review this with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Risks of Contraception and Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)

Extra circulating hormones in your system can increase the risk of blood clots which can lead to pulmonary embolism and death. If you have no other risk factors, you are at low risk. You should share your full medical history with your surgeon. Your doctor should review your risk factor score for DVT/thromboembolic event with you before proceeding. IV sedation versus general anesthesia will also make a difference. Regardless of which type of anesthesia is used, after surgery make sure to get up and walk with assistance every hour starting on the day of surgery. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Birth control

It is unlikely your plastic surgeon would request that you have your birth control device removed.

An in person consultation if necessary to make accurate assessments and avoid medical mishaps.

Please discuss your medical history and current and past medications that time.

Your plastic surgeon can make sure you are well prepared for your procedure when the time comes.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Birth control pills and surgery

This is a question you should discuss with your surgeon as he/she will have different preferences. Being on birth control pills can increase your risk of blood clots after surgery however most of my patient's are walking around right after surgery and I usually allow them to continue birth control during their surgical period. 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting #birthcontrol 

Sejal M. Patel, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... The hormone ussage can increase the risk of blood clots in your veins, or deepn vain trombosis, I suggest you to contact your actuall doctor and make sure  he or her, to know this, good luck dear!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

The circulating hormones in birth control can increase the risk of DVT (blood clots in your legs). It is understandable that you don't want to remove the implant before surgery. Make sure you don't have any other factors that increase your risk of blood clots (ie. genetic predisposition, personal history of blood clots, personal history of cancer, immobility). You must make sure you are up moving around after surgery as anesthesia increases your risk of blood clots (this lasts for ~2 weeks after surgery). I recommend for my patients to get up and move around 5-6x per day even the day of surgery and the few days to follow that are rough secondary to pain.