Crescent Lift vs. Benelli Lift?

I recently went to two consultations for a breast augmentation/lift. Both doctors told me basically the same thing, but the second surgeon suggested I do a crescent lift vs. the full circumareolar. His reasoning was that my sagging was mild (nipples above the fold?) and I'm young with a light skin tone and he wants to keep scarring to a minimal. After doing research, my concern is that I won't get the lasting results I want with the crescent, but I do like the idea of less scars. Thoughts?

Crescent or Benelli Breast Lift Technique

The #BenelliLift, developed by French surgeon Dr. Benellil,is also known as the "DonutLift"to most surgeons, is performed by removing a donut-shaped piece of the areola and the surrounding skin. Followed by applying a #Pursestring, or, a double purse-string suture, to tighten the skin. Initally, a #Benelli was developed to access a majority of the breast through the incision. The breast is then shaped and lifted with sutures. This is a very complex procedure which is not often performed. However, the term is widely used to refer to breast lifts involving an incision around the #areola.The #crescent lift removes a small amount of skin at the top of the areola. We find that there is very little lift and the areola becomes oval in shape and distorted with this method. Also, often patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. We prefer to use the #short-scar #technique, “#lollipop scar” or “#donut lift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant #scarring.

Breast Lift

Without photos or seeing you in person, it is truly impossible to say. I would maybe suggest a third opinion and see which option gets the most votes. Then you can decide what is best for you. Hope this helps, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Crescent v. Benelli lift

It is hard to offer advice without photos. I do share the concern that you are aware of with the limited results possible with a crescent lift. They work well in women who don't need a lift in the first place. 

All the best. 

Crescent vs. Benelli

In my experience, a crescent lift is of little value in lifting a breast.  It may help with correcting the shape of the areola.  Implants add weight to the breast and that makes a difference over time. Removal of a small crescent of skin does not make a significant difference over time in my opinion.

Crescent Lift vs. Benelli Lift?

Without posted photos and the benefit of physical exam - it is difficult to comment accurately re/ what you're a candidate for. Generally speaking, the measurements from your sternal notch ( where your collar bones meet in the middle) to your nipple will help determine the best procedure for you. Also, if your nipples point down- even slightly- the crescent may not be of benefit. For more info- you can view this video:

Crescent Lift vs. Benelli Lift

This is virtually no role for a crescent lift in opinion. Some surgeons might argue that a circumareolar lift is also inadequate and only perform a vertical or lollipop lift. 

Crescent or periareolar lift

A crescent lift is not a very commonly performed procedure, probably for the reason that it doesn't really lift the breast but can easily distort the shape of the areolas. A periareolar uplift is indicated when a very small lift is needed, and is normally performed together with breast augmentation. To be more precise about the type of lift needed pictures would be helpful, but personally I would vote against the crescent lift option.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Types of breast lift.

There are several different ways to perform a breast lift and the type chosen depends on several factors including your anatomy.  But a crescent lift if the least effective and usually offers minimal to no lasting benefit.  If considering just a crescent lift, I would recommend just having the augmentation and see if you are happy.  A crescent lift could always be done in the office under a local anesthetic after full healing if so desired.  But I find it a procedure that is almost never done.

Dean Fardo, MD

Crescent or Benelli

In my opinion, the crescent lift will only lift the areola a centimeter or so. It does nothing to lift the breast and correct the hanging of the breast below the nipple. If too much skin is removed, it can  elongatate the areola. the Benneli will likewise only lift the areola a small amount but will likewise have the ability to make the areola smaller.  You might want to repost with pictures because that would be helpful. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

How about skip the lift?

If your ptosis is really that mild and you are adding a reasonably sized implant, why don't you just skip the lift and see how it looks?  That is the "least scaring" option.  A crescent lift will make minor adjustments on nipple position.  A Benelli can do the same as well as reduce the size of the areolae.  If your happy with the size of the areolae, just get the implants and wait 3 months to see if you need a lift.  Neither of those lifts may be a good long-term option.  You may be best off having the implants now, then perhaps a lift in 5 years or so.  A pic would be helpful, but talk to your surgeons about it.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon