ALLERGAN vs, SIENTRA? (photo)

My doctor said he will be using Allergan implants...I was investigating and I saw that only sientra makes the round "gummy bear" implants. Does Allergan also make implants that are also as cohesive? I do not want the "tear drop" implant look.

Silicone implants explained

First, the good news is that no liquid silicone is still on the market in the U.S. So that means, currently, every FDA approved silicone implant in the US is silicone gel.

Second, the term gummy bear impants is not technical and has no specifications (I am an engineer so I like universal, clearly defined, industry wide specifications). Therefore, it has no useful meaning and just confuses patients. It was coined by a plastic surgeon to differentiate between older generation liquid silicone and the then new gel implants he was trialing. It now is inaccurately used by some to refer to the thickest "form stable" gel, but since that is inaccurate the confusion only deepens.

Sientra models 105,106 (or 205, 206 for textured) are the same gel just different fill ratios, and very similar to mentor and Allergan natrelle. Their ultra cohesive round implant is a 107 line. So without providing the part number for the implants your looking at, any comment about how thick the gel is will NOT be reliable. Additionally, the 107 is more expensive so I doubt your surgeon will absorb that cost so be sure to ask what part number they're offering!

Now for the complex details: Silicone breast implants can have 1) Varied gel thickness or cross linking of molecules, 2) Round or Anatomic shape, 3) Smooth or textured shell and 4) Variable fill ratio.
Silicone Gel ThicknessAgain all silicone gel implants in the U.S. are cohesive by definition. Then there are highly cohesive (thicker gel) or ultra-highly cohesive “form stable” gel.
Cohesive Gel << Highly Cohesive Gel << Ultra Highly Cohesive Gel
Softer more natural -------------------------->Very Firm and less natural
Higher rippling potential ------------------------> Less Rippling potential
The thicker the gel, the less rippling potential, but the firmer and less natural the breast. So in the case of gel thickness, when most women don’t have to worry about rippling in their textured silicone implants, more is not always better.
Silicone Implant ShapeThen there are round and anatomic shaped implants. Each patient will have their own view on these and it has a lot to do with their age range, demographics and desired result. The vast majority of breast augmentation patients want full round, cleavage and therefore they would be disappointed with an anatomic shape. If you desire a more discreet look of silicone breast forms they may be a consideration, but they only come in thicker gel condemning you to a firm less natural feeling breast, when a lower profile round silicone implant can still give the natural teardrop shape, but more natural feel.
Smooth vs. Textured ShellTextured silicone breast implants were introduced in an attempt to reduce capsular contracture by "disorganizing" the scar. Studies have been mixed about whether this theory is true in patients. Now texture has more to do with trying to keep anatomic devices in the proper orientation! Imagine an upside anatomic teardrop implant. The textured shell itself is thicker and less pliable when manufactured and the devices move less so it can be a firmer and less natural breast implant, many times a negative, but in the case of a lift may be beneficial. Although EXTREMELY rare it bears noting that all cases of ALCL reported have been with textured implants. So because it's, in my opinion, still just a theoretical benefit for the vast majority of primary breast augmentation patients, and may cause problems, I use mostly smooth unless a patient requests the textured or if I am trying to have the texture hold an implant in place on a large lift.
Fill RatioThe Allergan Inspira line and Sientra 106 line is the same gel and shell as the Natrelle line and 105 line respectively (meaning cohesive) but is filled approximately 5-7% more giving a “fuller” look without as much volume as the next style up. It also has less rippling potential, a big positive in extremely thin patients, without as much increase in firmness as thicker gel. My thinner patients are really moving towards the Allergan Inspira and Sientra 106 implants for less rippling and more fullness than mod+, but not quite as much volume as the high profile.
Ultimately, no breast implant manufacturer has proven that their device looks or feels better once implanted despite all the marketing hype. Anytime there are many choices, it is because they all have positives and negatives. The implant manufacturers prey on the unknowing consumer to pick a device with flashy advertising, or the “newer is always better” marketing campaign strategy.
I make specific recommendations to each and every of the 500+ augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant.

Sientra makes the only highly cohesive round implants on the U.S. market

Sientra, Allergan, and Mentor all make excellent round silicone gel implants.  The Allergan and Mentor implants are cohesive, and the Sientra implants are highly cohesive.  I have used round silicone gel implants made by all three manufacturers, and all yield good results.
If you are looking specifically for a "gummy bear" implant (highly cohesive), Sientra is the only manufacturer that makes round highly cohesive implants.  All three manufacturers make highly cohesive shaped implants.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Cohesiveness

The Sientra implant in the textured format is more cohesive than the Allergan in the textured choice.

Julio Garcia, MD

Sientra Implants vs. Allergan or Mentor

Allergan, Mentor and Sientra all make tear drop or anatomically shaped breast implants.  Sientra implants are a little more cohesive, meaning that they are more like a gummy bear than the others.  In addition, the research has shown them to be stronger, with less chance of rupture than the other manufacturer’s implants.  Sientra textured implants have also been shown to have the lowest capsule contracture rate which is the number one complication with breast implants.
I hope that helps. Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants

Hi Natnash,
Yes both companies make implants that are cohesive that are not teardrop shaped, but Sientra, based on studies, is thicker, meaning more cohesive. All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Sientra vs. Allergan? (or Mentor)

All three breast implant manufacturers make great products with cohesive gel. There are differences, but they are truly subtle, and much less important the the skill and technique of the surgeon.

We can talk all day about the details that make them different, but it's a bit like talking pickup trucks--there are the Chevy Silverado folks who are rabid about Chevy trucks, and there are Ford F-150 folks, equally vociferous about the qualities of the Ford. Let's not forget the Dodge RAM crowd.

But at the end of the day, truly, the driver is the most important factor, and all 3 trucks will get your shed to the top of the hill!

Perhaps I've said enough--not to demean your question at all, but you are focusing on the wrong thing IMHO. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Allergan or Sientra round implants

By choosing a round vs a shaped implant gives you the options of both  smooth and textured implants from both manufacturers that are both cohesive silicone gels. The form stable anatomic or tear dropped are the most cohesive and Sientra has a high strength gel with excellent gel to shell bonding in this type. My preference is to use  Sientra implants, however differences are relatively small and you'll be fine with either one, esp if that's your surgeon's preference.

Christopher S. Verbin, MD

Allergan vs Sientra

Both companies make textured round implants. The type of texture is different between the two companies. Sientra textured implants are what I  primarily use in my practice. They have proven lower capsular contracture rates. The gel to shell adherence is better in Sientra as well. 

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Sientra Vs. Allergan

In my experienced I do prefer the Sientra Implant due to my statistics and results.

In most cases I prefer  the Round Texturized High Profile Silicon Gel Cohesive Implant from Sientra.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Round vs "gummy bear" implants

Based on the "wish" picture you show, I would recommend you choose a standard round implant and not a shaped implant.  Both Allergan and Sientra have round silicone implants that are safe and effective.

Good luck,

Trey Aquadro, M.D.