Kybella recovery time?

I'm going for my first kybella treatment on 6/6 I understand there is going to be some swelling involved but how long does the severe swelling last?

Kybella recovery time?

Hello Nannie74,

There is swelling that takes place with Kybella.  It is a Catch22 because the greater the swelling then the greater your result will be.  As a rule of thumb, the swelling will increase for hte first 48-72 hours.  You can minimize this with ice and anti inflammatories.  After about a week it looks like you did before your treatment, and over the course of the next 5 weeks the area continues to improve.  It is important to realize it will take several treatments (up to 4) to get your desired result.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

Kybella recovery time?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello Nannie74,

I hope this helps and good luck.  

Kybella and Swelling

It is normal to have swelling from Kybella.  The swelling typically lasts 4 days but can vary depending on how sensitive you are to it.  Ice and sleep with your head elevated.  For the best results please consult an expert. I often combine Kybella with Thermage for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella and Swelling

Swelling after Kybella

The majority of the swelling is in the first few days after injection- you might try an over the counter antihistamine such as cetirizine (ZYRTEC) , taking one pill the day before, the day of and the day after. This seems to help limit the swelling in my patients.  The worst swelling is in the first few days but be aware that it might be 3-4 weeks before you are back to where you started so plan your social calendar accordingly.  Most patients feel that the worst is over after a few days and are able to manage with a scarf.  Remember to avoid things that make you bleed (Aspirin/fish oil/omega oils such as flax seed oil/extra vitamin E beyond the amount in a multivitamin/ NSAIDS such as advil) for 10-14 day before to decrease your risk of bruising.  But don't be too scared- most patients find the swelling to be tolerable and have been really happy with the shrinking of the fat that they see from the 4th to the 8th week after the injection. Good Luck!

Swelling after Kybella

Kybella recovery

Typically, the most common side effects after treatment with Kybella are swelling, bruising, numbness and/or redness in the treated area, which subside in a short time. These occur most frequently after the first treatment. Although there is no actual “downtime” after the administration of Kybella, swelling or bruising must be considered if one has an event planned within ten to fourteen days after treatment.

Kybella recovery

Kybella swelling.

Kybella swelling.Thank you for your question. Swelling from Kybella can last a few weeks depending on the person. After your procedure, continue to ice the area and it will reduce on its own. Make sure to schedule your follow-up appointment with your doctor.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella swelling.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella Recovery Time

Hi Nannie74,

Thank you for your question. Each person is unique but I have seen swelling up to 3 weeks after Kybella. The average is 1-2 weeks. We start our patients on Arnica 4 days prior to treatment. After you have your Kybella injections we recommend icing, head elevated, and compression to the area. I am sure you will be pleased with your treatment! Best to you, Dr Faraz

Kybella Recovery Time

Hi Nannie74,

Kybella recovery

The first 2-7 days will have the most inflammtion underneath the chin and down the neck.  Over the following 4-6 weeks you will see some 'hardening' and tightening which will determine if you need additional treatments.

Kybella recovery

Takes some time

The swelling and inflammation is in the first few days and then there is some hard swelling that slowly goes away over some weeks.

Takes some time

Kybella Recovery Time

Thank you for your question. The short answer is, it depends. Some patients have a fairly severe reaction for the first 24-48 hours after the injection, which quickly subsides; others state they look swollen for 1-2 weeks. It can be difficult to predict. There are some tricks to help decrease the swelling - things like icing continually after the injection for the first 24 hours, sleeping with your head elevated, and taking NSAIDs like Motrin or Aleeve 24 hours after injection. Natural supplements like Arnica can also help. Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Recovery Time

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon

Kybella swelling duration

Thank you for your question and for sharing your treatment plan with us.   You can definitely expect a few days of swelling continues to decrease with each day.  I do recommend icing and compression to help decrease the overall duration of swelling and improve the overall comfort.  The degree of swelling and stoves dependent, so it's very important that you go to provider understands neck anatomy and is experienced at injecting Kybella.

Kybella swelling duration