Kybella recovery time?

I'm going for my first kybella treatment on 6/6 I understand there is going to be some swelling involved but how long does the severe swelling last?

Kybella recovery time?

Hello Nannie74,

There is swelling that takes place with Kybella.  It is a Catch22 because the greater the swelling then the greater your result will be.  As a rule of thumb, the swelling will increase for hte first 48-72 hours.  You can minimize this with ice and anti inflammatories.  After about a week it looks like you did before your treatment, and over the course of the next 5 weeks the area continues to improve.  It is important to realize it will take several treatments (up to 4) to get your desired result.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella recovery

Typically, the most common side effects after treatment with Kybella are swelling, bruising, numbness and/or redness in the treated area, which subside in a short time. These occur most frequently after the first treatment. Although there is no actual “downtime” after the administration of Kybella, swelling or bruising must be considered if one has an event planned within ten to fourteen days after treatment.

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Kybella swelling.

Kybella swelling.Thank you for your question. Swelling from Kybella can last a few weeks depending on the person. After your procedure, continue to ice the area and it will reduce on its own. Make sure to schedule your follow-up appointment with your doctor.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella Recovery Time

Hi Nannie74,

Thank you for your question. Each person is unique but I have seen swelling up to 3 weeks after Kybella. The average is 1-2 weeks. We start our patients on Arnica 4 days prior to treatment. After you have your Kybella injections we recommend icing, head elevated, and compression to the area. I am sure you will be pleased with your treatment! Best to you, Dr Faraz

Kybella recovery

The first 2-7 days will have the most inflammtion underneath the chin and down the neck.  Over the following 4-6 weeks you will see some 'hardening' and tightening which will determine if you need additional treatments.

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Takes some time

The swelling and inflammation is in the first few days and then there is some hard swelling that slowly goes away over some weeks.

Kybella Recovery Time

Thank you for your question. The short answer is, it depends. Some patients have a fairly severe reaction for the first 24-48 hours after the injection, which quickly subsides; others state they look swollen for 1-2 weeks. It can be difficult to predict. There are some tricks to help decrease the swelling - things like icing continually after the injection for the first 24 hours, sleeping with your head elevated, and taking NSAIDs like Motrin or Aleeve 24 hours after injection. Natural supplements like Arnica can also help. Best of luck! 

Kybella swelling duration

Thank you for your question and for sharing your treatment plan with us.   You can definitely expect a few days of swelling continues to decrease with each day.  I do recommend icing and compression to help decrease the overall duration of swelling and improve the overall comfort.  The degree of swelling and stoves dependent, so it's very important that you go to provider understands neck anatomy and is experienced at injecting Kybella.

Kybella and Swelling

It is normal to have swelling from Kybella.  The swelling typically lasts 4 days but can vary depending on how sensitive you are to it.  Ice and sleep with your head elevated.  For the best results please consult an expert. I often combine Kybella with Thermage for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Swelling after first time kybella

Swelling after Kybella is the most predictable downtime event; if you are pre-medicated with topical or local injected anesthetic or ice, you may not feel much pain immediately after the treatment, but swelling up to a week or even more is possible (depending on many factors, the most significant being the amount of medication injected).  Most swelling is mild to moderate and lasts 3-7 days and only a minority of patients in the studies had severe swelling, lasting more than 2 weeks. What's best is that you anticipate a good amount of swelling and plan for some downtime in terms of social activities the week after the injections, should the swelling make you self conscious. In patients' experiences, however, they report to me that few if anyone notices the swelling, even when they think it's 'alot.' Generally we're more self conscious of changes in our face and body than we should be, as in reality few people notice (because other people of thinking of themselves, not you!). Best of luck, Doc Adam

Adam M. Rotunda, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon