Kybella, There is lots of fluid under my chin. What is happening? (photos)

It looks larger and I cant understand why?

Swelling after Kybella

How long has it been since your treatment? It is normal to have visible swelling for 3-4 days after your first treatment. Contact your injector to describe any other symptoms, they will be able to reassure you. 

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella & Swelling

When did you have your Kybella treatment? It is normal to have some pretty severe swelling in the first week but it should diminish with time. Every patient heals at his or her own rate, but most see improvement within a month. However, keep in mind that it takes between 2-4 sessions to achieve your final results. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Fluid feeling after Kybella

Depends on how long ago you had the Kybella injection. Remember that fluid was injected during the Kybella treatment and this will subside after about 24 hours. The "Fluid" feeling that occurs days after treatment happens as the fat starts dissolving. This lasts about a week. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Side Effects of Swelling After Kybella Injections

The simple procedure of multiple injections will undoubtedly cause swelling at the site and adjacent to it!  If an injectable  anesthetic was used as well, this too will cause additional swelling or the feeling of fluid retained under your chin. We suggest ice and a gentle compression wrap ( ie chin strap) for a day or 2 after the procedure when resting. Also, avoiding anti-inflammatories such as aspirin, ibuprofen, green tea and fish oils will also help .

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Swelling under your chin

Thank you for your questioned photo. From your photo, you look to have normal swelling from your Kybella injection. The sub mental fat normally doubles in size after the Kybella injection. This swelling can last a few days, sometimes it lasts a few weeks. Ice and compression can help reduce the swelling from your injection.

Kybella swelling

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo and experience.  You should find that every few days, the degree of swelling after Kybella is noticeably smaller.  If you want to clear the swelling faster, then compression, icing and using devices such as the Venus Viva can move things along.

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

Kybella causes significant swelling in most people that lasts a few weeks. venus legacy can improve this more quickly.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella and Fluid Under Chin

It is normal to have swelling under the chin after Kybella is injected into the submental area.  This is a normal and anticipated inflammatory reaction which will take a few days or weeks to subside.  For the best cosmetic results please consult an expert. I often combine Kybella with Thermage for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Fluid under chin normal

Hi there - your reaction is not only normal, it's expected - in fact your body is repairing itself and removing the fat.  The fluid reaction and swelling after Kybella is unlike other type of swelling that you've probably experienced (like banging your knee)  - I know it's almost jelly-like and feels unusual, but sounds all good. The medicine works by opening up those unwanted fat cells and then it allows your body to take over from there! The swelling means healing has begun - the fluid allows for those damaged fat cells to disappear, so good observation! And hooray for swelling! ; )  First, don't worry, but feel free to reach out to who injected you and ask his or her experience as well. Just to reassure you this is absolutely normal. Give it a couple of days, and up to a week or so, for the fluid to resolve. Doc Adam

Adam M. Rotunda, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella swelling

Swelling after Kybella can be very pronounced. In my experience, the submental area is larger than your baseline for 1-2 weeks after the injection. Then, over the next month, you should start to see a gradual refinement in your double chin. The swelling occurs because the medication is literally killing the fat cells. As the fat cells rupture, an inflammatory response is triggered. It'll get better!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon