Can Kybella contribute to ear infection?

About a month ago I received my 1st Kybella treatment. I believe I had 26 shots. After treatment, I had the usual swelling that is due to the treatment. About a week later, I got sick with an upper respiratory infection. As my illness progressed a couple of days, I ended up with fluid in my middle ear. I am not prone to ear infections. My question is, can the swelling caused by the Kybella treatment cause swelling or pressure on your adenoids and/or eustachian tubes?

Kybella not related to ear infection

It is not likely that your middle ear problem is related to the Kybella injectable treatment. This is assuming that it was injected to the submental area only and not some other region of your face. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella is safe

Kybella should not affect the ear and would not travel up that way into the tissues to affect the ear.
It would be metabolized via the lymphatic system.

Kybella and ear infection

Thank you for your question.  Kybella should not affect or cause an ear infection.  Having said that, if you are experiencing an active infection, I would wait until the infection resolves before setting out on a procedure that induces inflammation.

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

Kybella cannot cause an ear infection. It was likely just a coincidence. I suggst you speak to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hello nomad11,

No, Kybella would not contribute to your ear infection.  When you got your upper respiratory infection that led to swelling in the back of the nose (called the adenoids).  The tube that connects the ear to the throat to allow the ear to be cleared is right in front of this area.  When the adenoids swell, the tube blocks up and you can get fluid in your ear.  Your Kybella would not have affected this in any manner.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Ear Infection

Kybella is an amazing injection for the submental fat when injected properly. It sounds like it was just coincidence that you had this ear infection. I often combine Kybella with Thermage for the best skin tightening results in the lower face. Please consult an expert for this permanent injection.  Best, Dr. Green