Can this pink tattoo be removed completely with laser? (photo)

i have been trying to remove this tattoo for sometime now and this is the result after my 4th session... i was wondering how many more session will be required to remove it completely...am scared it wont go...please i need your advice.

Yes, this pink tattoo can be removed, probably best with a pico 532 laser

I would use a picosecond or good Q-Switched 532nm laser to remove this pink tattoo.  The QX-Max, Prima Pico, PicoWay, Enlighten and some other older Q-switched laser should be able to treat this tattoo in the expert hands of an experienced laser doctor. 

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Most likely but with skin alterations

I can not tell but he photo but it seems that you lost pigment in some places and may have a scar or open area in that tattoo. Pink is a difficult color because its often red with white mixed into the ink. the red normally isn't a big issue but requires a  532nm wavelength white however reflect all lasers and thus will not come out and on occasion oxidizes to a darker color.

I always warn any patients like yourself with a high melanin load ( darker skin tone) that the 532 laser will likely target some melanin and create a lighter or even pure white area that may never resolve.

It does look like a small tattoo and you have another option that I offer to patients with a high potential for complications and that is surgical excision of the tattoo. It leaves a small scar but the tattoo issue is resolved in one shot. that is always an option for small tattoos.

I hope this was helpful

Glenn Messina, MD
Commack Physician

Laser Tattoo Removal Facts--Takes a series of treatments

It's difficult to tell from your photo if this is some scarring and/or remaining tattoo. Laser tatttoo removal takes a series of treatments. An alternative would be the Eclipse Micropen TR. Any subsequent scarring can be improved with lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

​It is possible to remove a Pink Tattoo

Thanks for your question and posting a picture.  You did not mention what kind of laser was being used.

It is possible to remove a red & pink tattoo.  Based on our experience, we definitely recommend a picosecond laser with 532 nm wavelength.  For PicoSure, this wavelength is an upgrade over the original models and was added specifically for treating some red inks.  The PicoSure Laser is new technology and will generally remove tattoos in half the treatments (or less!) required by older lasers, without the risk of burning and with much, much lower risk of scarring or hypopigmentation.  With your darker skin tone, you should definitely stay away from nanosecond or q-switch lasers.  Good luck!

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Pink tattoo

It is difficult to tell completely from the photo, but it appears that you may have some scarring around the tattoo.  Scarring will not go away with laser treatment.  Also, pink ink is difficult to remove from any skin type, especially dark skin. The laser needed to remove light ink can also cause depigmentation (lightening) of the skin.  Finally, pink ink is likely a combination of red and white.  Laser treatment on white can cause darkening of the area.