How safe is permanent lip implant? Does it last for a lifetime?

My doctor liposuctioned my small lips empty, especially lower lip during smas facelift. I read that fat injections to lips do not last. I dont want to have continuous fillers. Are the permanent solutions safe?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler (temporary results) or a Permalip implant which does provide a permanent enhancement.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Permalip implants

Thank you for asking about your permalip implants.

• I am so very sorry your surgeon removed the fat from your lip.
  • You are correct that fat transfers are very unpredictable and usually need to be redone every 2 years.
  • Fillers at most last a year.
  • Permalip implants work very well - they are soft solid silicone implants and should last indefinitely.
  • That said - they have only been around about 5 years so we don't know for sure.
  • In your situation, I think they are an excellent idea and cost-effective compared to your other options.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implants are safe

Fat grafting can be permanent, but it requires several rounds of grafting to get a full result. Lip implants are safe and will last as long as you are happy with them! They are a solid silicone implant so there is no concerns about leaking or rupture. They don't look good on EVERYONE -- if you have a long upper lip, you may require a lip lift procedure to look better.  Find a surgeon that is well versed with the implant and see what they have to say (or post a pic sometime).  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon