Is neck/chin augmentation ok for a Professional singer? (photo)

I am not happy with my profile, I'm considering neck liposuction, and/or a chin implant to give me a more masculine jawline. No matter how much weigh I lose, my profile remains weak. I am also a professional singer, and any surgery around my throat scares me to no end. Would surgery effect my voice in any way shape or form? Is there even the slightest possibility that surgery might change my voice, sound, or resonance? Please help!? Thank you!

Choosing the correct surgery and voice changes

I think liposuction would be safe in regards to not having any changes to your voice. It would also be the first place I would start.

You do not have strong jaw definition.

You do have a strong labiomental angle, meaning the angle from your lower lip to your chin.

A person whose chin go straight down or back from their lower lip is a better candidate for a chin implant.

If someone's chin sticks forward even without good jaw projection, they are at risk for developing what's known as a witches chin if an implant is placed.

Care must be taken to maintain balance.

I don't believe a conservative chin implant would affect your singing either.

For some people, the ultimate procedure is jaw surgery. This type of procedure could definitely change your singing voice.

I suggest you consult with some top-notch senior experienced plastic surgeons to see what your options are.

You may want to consider more than one consultation.

If you get consistent recommendations, then this is probably an indication that you're a good candidate to move forward.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Is neck/chin augmentation ok for a professional singer?

Thank you for your question. This is an excellent method to meet your stated goals. Given your photos, I believe that your facial contour would be improved by liposuction of the area.  Done correctly and carefully, this should not interfere with any ability for your singing. Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Neck liposuction and chin augmentation should not affect your singing voice

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photographs I do believe chin augmentation and liposuction of the neck can improve your profile. Properly performed,  I do not believe it will affect your singing voice.

Chin implant plus submental fat excision would be superb for your anatomy (and not affect singing).

I understand your concerns, but the proposed surgery would not affect anything but your appearance. Congratulations on your weight loss! For an example of what can be achieved by conservative implant plus submental fat excision (NOT liposuction), click on the web reference link below.

See one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons (ASAPS members) for more advice on the requested plan of action. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction

Hi Keeper, You are young, so you would have good overlying skin tone, and appear to have localized fullness. A lot of times this runs in families because you all have a low location for your "hyoid" neck bone. Yes, I believe you would benefit from chin liposuction, with or without chin enhancement, also. Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon.  This wouldn't change your voice.
All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Is neck/chin augmentation ok for a Professional singer?

Surgery should not affect your voice.  You do have a recessed chin which would benefit from a chin implant.  The purpose of a chin implant is to provide projection.  In addition, I would add volume and angularity to your cheek area.  You are very flat in the cheek area, but fuller in the lower half of your face.  This needs to be reversed.  You would also benefit from a bit of liposuction to the neck area.  
There are alternatives to surgery.  I frequently use Radiesse to fill the chin and the jawline.  Radiesse is an injectable which lasts about a year.   

Based on your examination, you may be a candidate for neck liposuction.

Your chin does not appear to be terribly weak, based on the photo you posted. You may benefit from consulting several reputable facial plastic surgeons so you could see what might be best for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

chin implant and neck lift candidate

The photographs demonstrate fatty deposits in the neck above and below the platysma muscle, as well as a weak chin profile. Removal of fatty deposits located in the sub-mental and sub-platysmal space and a platysma-plasty will give more jawline  definition. A chin implant could be inserted through the very same incision to give added projection to the chin which will also help with  jawline definition. For many examples, please see the link below

Voice and facial recontouring

The voice is not affected since the surgery is 'outside' the area of the voice control. However, more importantly, having performed many more complicated surgeries in the middle face/sinus/jaw area; the professional singers/operatic have not noticed any changes (far more relevant than a surgeon's hearing/opinion). So not to worry. 
You have an underdeveloped lower jaw in 3 dimensions; so that the surgeon should review not only 'trimming the fatty tissue' but also augmenting the entire jawline and not just the chin area. Obviously it would depend upon your goals, but discuss it realistically

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

I agree with you. A carefully selected chin implant with the right projection will enhance your profile. In addition, you would benefit from lipo of the neck. As far as these procedures affecting your voice........not to be concerned. Good luck