Will Kybella cause extraneous 'fat pockets' to form in other areas of my body??

Hello Dr.'s! I read that any type of procedure that melts fat, such as Kybella, lipo, cool sculpting, etc., eliminates the fat cells in that specific area permanently, and it will never come back (which is great). However if you gain weight post-procedure, that fat will form as weird pockets in other locations around your body. I was wondering if this is really true, because that could be a MAJOR con. Thank you so much!

Kybella

Thank you for your question. Successful candidates will be of overall good health and have a full understanding of the treatment plan. Kybella is made from the naturally occurring substance deoxycholic acid, a chemical used by the body to rid unwanted fat. The unwanted fat can then be safely eliminated by the body. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Because Kybella is removing a relatively small amount of fat in a very specific area, no, gaining weight should not cause any weird fat pockets elsewhere on the chin, neck or face. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and effects on remote fat pockets.

Thank you for your question.  Kybella affects a very small amount of fatty tissue in the double chin region.  You should not experience any observable changes in fat pockets in other body areas with respect to weight changes.  With Coolsculpting or liposuction, you can affect more regions, so you may experience more noticeable increases in other fat pockets of the body with weight gain.

Chin area is small

The chin area to be dissolved with Kybella is small compared to the body.
Perhaps 1/8th or to 1/2 pound of fat goes away.
This would not make much difference to the rest of your body.
Best Wishes,
Dr. Denkler

Kybella for chin fat

When you enter the sport of fat reduction, whether it is CoolSculpting, RF melting of fat or Kybella, in those treated areas, a certain number of fat cells are kill and gone for good.  If you weight tends to bounce around, the extra calories have to be stored as fat somewhere and it will be in areas where there are living fat cells. Sadly, this can start changing the overall profile of your body.  So you really need to keep healthy, keep weight under control and never ever look at these systems as an excuse to overeat and gain weight.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella is a wonderful fat dissolver for the double chin

You are correct in that Kybella permanently destroys the fat cells in the double chin. Any time that you gain weight, whichever fat cells are present in the body will increase in size. This is independent of a treatment with Kybella. You just won't notice an increase in the double chin area since the fat cells will no longer be present in that region. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Results

Kybella is a great option for individuals that are looking to enhance the look of their face by removing submental fat/double chin without any surgery. 

To have "fat pockets" become apparent on areas that are not treated, a substantial amount of weight should be present to notice this change. The existing fat cells on other areas of the face and body becomes larger as more weight is gained. 

A consultation is recommended to see if Kybella is right for you or if any other options may be available as well. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Kybella and "fat" pockets

Kybella is an amazing procedure to treat submental fat and I use it and Coolsculpting (mini) for just this purpose.  It definitely does not cause fat to form in untreated areas of the body.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello YearToChange2015,

Kybella will dissolve the fat cells in the area where it is injected.  Just like liposuction removes the fat in an area, Kybella does as well.  With Kybella it takes a series of injections (at least 2 and up to 4 treatments) spaced 6 weeks apart.  If you gain weight then fat will be deposited around your body in the same manner whether or not you had Kybella (or liposuction treatment).  The area where you were treated will not gain as much weight because there are fewer fat cells that will remain.  But it will not lead to weird pockets of fat being deposited elsewhere.  

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon in your area who performs his or her own Kybella injections to learn about the treatment and compare it to the other options you mentioned.  This will let you determine what is the best option for you.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon