Kybella to the neck?

Hi any benefits or harm wrapping the chin and applying arnica? For the 1st few days?

Arnica and /or neck wrap after kybella?

No harm in doing either but I usually don't find it to be necessary.  Arnica is very safe and can help bruising to resolve more quickly.  Some patients like wearing an elastic neck support but its up to you whether its worth the aggravation.  One thing that might be helpful next time is to take ZYRTEC (CETERIZINE) which is a non-sedating, over the counter antihistamine, with one pill the day before, the day of and the day after.  Easy to do and seems to help.

Kybella recovery

Thank you for your question. There is no harm in wrapping your chin, although I don’t think it is necessary. Some patients alleviate the soreness with an icepack but it just depends on each person.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Post Kybella Treatment

Thanks for your question. These treatments should not be a problem after Kybella treatment. You might add an ice pack intermittently to help reduce any pain or swelling.  However, keep it short (5-10 minutes) to reduce any freezer burn/frost bite.

Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

There is no harm in wrapping the chin or using arnica after a Kybella treatment.

There is no harm in wrapping the chin or using arnica after a Kybella treatment. Compression garments are not required, but some patients may want to wear one anyway. Arnica can be used to help with bruising, and ice will help with swelling. Be sure to try to keep your head elevated as much as possible as well, again to help with swelling.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Arnica and neck compression after Kybella

Thank you for your question, both compression and Arnica are great options to help manage the symptoms after Kybella. I would also recommend that you do icing or cold compresses. If your office also offers lymphatic massage options, then I would also take advantage of this. 

Thank you for your question in regards to Kybella. It is to be expected to swell after Kybella injections. A compression garment is not necessary, although arnica may be applied to help subside with any possible bruising to the injection site. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

As the principal investigator for the FDA trials on Kybella, and with over 400 treatments performed, we found that Kybella injections result in significant improvement in the appearance of convexity or fullness associated with submental fat. In these clinical trials, patients did not wear a compression garment, and some patients did experience some swelling. The amount of swelling is directly related to the amount of fat present and the amount of kybella injected. In other words, if you have a large amount of fat under your chin, you would require a greater amount of kybella to treat the area effectively, and the greater the subsequent inflammatory response with swelling. I currently recommend that patients wear a compression garment for a few days to help with the post-procedure swelling. The procedure is very well tolerated by patients, fast, and can be performed in clinic. Prior to any intervention, however, a proper physical exam is necessary. I recommend visiting a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who is experienced with Kybella injections.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wrapping the chin after Kybella

A chin strap usually helps to decrease any discomfort to the area for the first few days. Arnica may help further reduce any chances of bruising during and after the treatment. It certainly won't hurt anything. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Arnica for Kybella swelling?

Swelling occurs after Kybella injections.  There may be some bruising as well.   This happens to indicate a good treatment as it is cell death that causes swelling.  Oral Arnica can help with swelling and bromelain helps to control bruising.  I try to remain upbeat about the swelling and tell patients that it indicates a good treatment and the associated inflammation actually contributes to more retraction of skin over time.   A good combo homeopathic capsule we recommend is Arnica Forte if people are requesting a swelling/bruise pretreatment.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella- neck swelling

Icing the area after Kybella seems to be the most effective for the bruising and tenderness that occurs after- I would also recommend arnica (oral and topical) to diminish the bruising if it occurs. 

Anita Arora Gill, MD
The Woodlands Dermatologic Surgeon