How much fat can be taken out by liposuction? Will the fat come back?
Doctor Answers 4
Fat Removed During Liposuction -- How Much Is Safe?
in the US guidelines are 5L in a single procedure, but also the number of areas and amount of fluid used during the surgery determines how much can be done. Bigger people can have more removed. Please see an expert in VASER 4D body contouring. Best, Dr. Emer.
Liposuction - how much can be removed and will it return.
- For your safety, no more than 4 - 5 l is usually removed at one time.
- Larger volume liposuctions should be done in the hospital with an overnight stay.
- You can probably find anywhere an unscrupulous surgeon willing to remove massive amounts of fat - with no safety precautions.
- The question is - are you alive afterwards.
- It is always safer to have surgery nearer your home and to be conservative.
- Yes, fat returns to new areas after liposuction un less you lose 10 pounds (for a 4-5 L liter liposuction)
- If you gain weight, fat returns to the areas of liposuction
- If you are trying to lose weight, please don't use liposuction - it won't work -
- See a bariatric surgeon for a gastric bypass if you are 100 pounds or so over your ideal weight.
You might also like...
Best wishes and good luck.
Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.