How does the fat necrosis go away? Does this develop cancer later on in life?

I have fat necrosis in my leg upper thigh. I feel pain and burning sensation in my buttons area, specifically when I sit down? Why is this happening? Can liposuction kill me in having bad complications in life?

Fat necrosis

Hi, Thank you for your question. I would advise that you call your plastic surgeon and set up a time to follow up with him or her. It is hard to tell what is really going on without seeing you in person.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Fat necrosis after liposuction - what to expect

Thank you for asking about your fat necrosis.
  • You need to get your advice from the surgeon who did your liposuction.
  • Fat necrosis should not be cause buttock pain, unless you had liposuction in that area.
  • Fat necrosis tends to subside slowly, may need treatment and I know of no connection to cancer.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Fat necrosis

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise.  I suggest you discuss your concern the surgeon who performed the liposuction.

Fat Necrosis

Fat necrosis is usually usually presents as a nodule that is painful.  These lesions often self resolve.  Resistant nodules can be treated by injecting steroid solutions into the nodule or even excisional removal.  Although rare, these nodules can calcify and become permanent.   Thankfully, there is no long term issue with these lesions.  Follow up with your surgeon to be evaluated for possible treatment.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat necrosis

Five necrosis usually goes away partially by itself. It can leave some hard scar tissue long-term. It does not lead to cancer or any serious medical complications. I suggest you bring this up with your treating plastic surgeon who can best help explain what it is, what caused it and what can be done for it. There are generally no successful treatment other than waiting, sometimes fat necrosis can be directly excised surgically but this is usually not needed. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Fat necrosis

keep close touch with your plastic surgeon and dont worry about cancer developing in an area of fat nexrosis. Id an ultrasonic decice was used, there is often more burning postop. A drug such as Lyrica can help and you may want to ask your doctor about it. Stay positive!

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Please go back to your Plastic Surgeon to be evaluated.  Liposuction is a very safe procedure which although can have complications they typically are limited to prolonged swelling and bruising when performed by a qualified provider.