Is it possible to correct scleral show with filler? (Photo)

I've always been self-conscious about the way that I look when I'm not squinting, because of the amount of sclera that shows. Is it possible to correct this with filler on the orbital rim or is a more invasive fix, such as an orbital rim implant or lower eyelid retraction surgery required? Thanks!

Treatment options for scleral show

Thank you for an interesting question.  I have been able to get some improvement in scleral show using tear trough and cheek fillers.  Everyone does not see this type of improvement.  My technique has given these results primarily in patients who had some scleral show secondary to previous lower lid blepharoplasty with an overly aggressive resection of orbital fat. I cannot tell from your photographs if you would be a good candidate in general, but I suspect that fillers alone would not be able to give you the degree of change you demonstrated in your photographs.  I typically saw around1 mm of improvement in lid position using Restylane in the tear trough in the patients I described above.

Surgical intervention will also be an option, but this of course carries significant risks which need to be discussed in detail.

An in person consultation will be necessary to fully evaluate you and your best treatment options. .Best wishes, MKB

Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers will not address this issue

Thanks for your question. The short answer is no. fillers will not help you achieve. A lower blepharoplasty can move up and tighten the eyelid potentially. Seek a consult with a surgeon and get an opinion. good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon