How to go about getting a breast augmentation before college?

I am 18, have been researching the procedure for years, and know that it will boost my self esteem massively. I am not planning to get enormous, fake breasts; I am simply looking to even out my proportions and gain confidence in my figure. I am now able to afford the procedure. Would it be a possibility to find a surgeon, undergo the procedure, and recover within the summer before college? If I started the consultation process now (while still a hs student), will I be taken seriously?

Breast Augmentation at 18

Thank you very much for your question and good luck heading off to college. The expected recovery time after a breast augmentation is from one to two weeks. Heavy lifting and strenuous exercise should be postponed for at least four to six weeks. If you have your breast augmentation early in the summer, you should be feeling like yourself by the time to leave for school. My advice is for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. He/she will explain the expected recovery process and create a personalized breast augmentation surgical plan, designed around your scheduling needs. 

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Augmentation and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants.

over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue.

Whats the best route to go for achieving natural full breasts? That depends if the needs a breast lift or not and on the size of implant they want. The bigger the implant the less natural it's going to look. Now we also have the silicone that are anatomically shaped and that can give a more natural shape, and less of the round shape of the traditional implants.

Breast Augmentation before college...

Doing research on a cosmetic procedure is always smart.  You sound like a mature 18 year old, and as an adult, you can certainly make the decision to undergo the procedure, knowing the benefits and the risks. It should be no problem to have the procedure performed and recover during the summer before college begins. Be sure to go on a few consultations and find someone who is highly experienced in breast augmentation and with whom you feel comfortable.

Hi freyjabjork,

Thank you for your question.  In a word, Yes.  You can undergo the procedure and heal over the summer time, and most (if not all) board-certified plastic surgeon will treat you and your body with dignity and respect.

Hunter Moyer, MD

Getting BBA before college

Thank you for your question!

You have the right reasons for seeking a breast augmentation procedure, and many women who are the age of 18 seek out the procedure like yourself. As such, there should be no problem when you have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon while still in high school. However, the risks you may face is that if your breasts did not stop developing yet, then they may change after getting breast implants resulting in either better or worse aesthetics. Also you should note that since you are under the age of 22, you cannot get silicone implants, unless you consent for the off-label use and may have to get saline implants. You will learn more about your options in the consultation.

That being said, I believe it would be difficult to find a surgeon, undergo the procedure, and recover within 2 months assuming you end in June, and start in September. If you find a surgeon now, and book the procedure one week after school ends, then that would be better as you don’t want to rush in finding the right surgeon.

Your recovery will depend on your pain tolerance, your healing abilities, etc. Most patients are able to return to desk-jobs within 3-7 days after surgery. It would be recommended that you visit your surgeon for frequent follow-ups in the process of recovery (i.e., at 1,2,3,6 weeks after surgery, then at 3, 6, 12 months) and the more you can come before college the better, as you will get busy. This is why it is best to find a local surgeon so that follow-ups and communication is easier.

It is also recommended not to do heavy lifting of greater than 5-10 lbs for the first 3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training. You will also have to avoid any exertion or strenuous activity that requires use of the upper body (e.g., chest, arms) for at least 6 weeks. This includes but is not limited to running, push-ups, and weight-lifting. Considering this information and how engaged you are in extra-curriculars and sports, you can determine, where 2 months would be enough time for recovery.

Please note that you should find a surgeon who you can connect with, whose advice you can trust, and in whose work you can have faith, and when you do, you don’t need to look for any other surgeons. You should also look for a local board-certified plastic surgeon as it is easier to follow-up with them to make sure you are healing well without complications.

These are the steps you need to take to choose the right surgeon.

1) You should choose a surgeon who gives value to safety, and who does not rush you. This means that they shouldn’t necessarily agree to everything you say because you wouldn’t know what is best for you, so it the job of us surgeons to guide you to make decision that will minimize complications and allow you to have beautiful breasts.

2) You must verify their skills, education, and board-certification.

3) You must ask the surgeon about their experience with the procedure you want and ask to review photographic examples of the surgeon’s work. Check to see if the aesthetic ideal is consistent with what you are hoping to achieve. Make sure the before and after images have the same perspective, the same lighting.  

4) Read the surgeon’s reviews for the procedure you want on real-self and other online forums where applicable.

5) Share all your motivations for surgery, expectations and goals with complete honesty. Be as specific as you can about what you like regarding your breasts and what you don’t like. Based on this your surgeon will evaluate you as a candidate for the BBA. Ask the surgeon if your expectations are realistic and reasonable.

If they adequately verify their knowledge, skill, and level of expertise in the procedure you want, then you can be assured that you are in the right hands.

I urge you to also do your own research on the breast augmentation surgery to understand its risks and your various options with regards to implants, pocket, incision, etc.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation before college

Freyja.  It is important to consider all aspects, pros and cons, when considering breast augmentation, especially at a younger age. I insist on at least 2 consultations prior to agreeing to perform breast augmentation on my patients under 21 to be sure they understand all aspects of the procedure and have reasonable expectations.  Do your homework prior to consultations, and it is a good idea to try to have your surgery earlier in the summer to allow full recovery before leaving for college. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about things to consider before breast augmentation. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Thank you for the question. There is nothing in your post that seems unreasonable or problematic to me. In other words, assuming you are self-motivated and a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery, your plan seems reasonable and doable.

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Basically, patients should look at the overall "quality" of the outcomes achieved;  in other words, it will be important that patients see lots of examples of outcomes that they would be pleased with.  In doing so patients will be able to get an idea of each  plastic surgeon's "aesthetic sensibilities". Of course, careful evaluation of the photographs (including factors such as time out of surgery and initial anatomic starting point) will be important as patients evaluate before/after photographs.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.

Breast Augmentation Timing

Thanks for your question and great decision on moving forward with a college degree.  Regarding breast augmentation, you will need approximately one to four weeks to meet with your board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and then surgery scheduling.  After surgery, you will need 4-6 weeks for a good amount of recovery.  As you can imagine, moving into a college door or apartment is a physical process requiring packing, moving, and unpacking of boxes.  Make sure that you are at least 6 weeks after surgery before you plan for this type of heavy lifting.  As always, please make sure that you work with a board certified plastic surgeon who is strong with communication skills. 

Wishing you all the best, 

Steven Camp MD

#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Many patients choose to have breast augmentation the summer before they enter college.. Please see experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  One disadvantage of having your breast implants at age 18 is that you will need to have saline implants as you must be 22 to have Silicon gel implants.

Breast Augmentation Summer Before College

Thank you for your question.  Based upon your post, it appears as though you have considered having a breast augmentation for quite a while and that you have realistic cosmetic goals.  Many young women elect to have breast augmentations each year and while you are definitely on the younger side, as you are only 18 years old, it is not uncommon for women your age to have a breast augmentation.  

Breast augmentation recovery is not how it used to be many years ago with weeks of discomfort and downtime.  Many of my patients are back to work or school within 48 hours and, while they may have some slight discomfort, most cite that they feel great within 24-48 hours of their procedure.  Something to consider is that pain tolerance does vary from patient to patient, and implants do need time to settle following an augmentation.  Implants can initially look a little high, hard and ugly, and I stress to all of my patients that it will take at least 3-4 months to begin to see results (with final results in 6-12 months).  

I would recommend scheduling consultation appointments with board certified plastic surgeons who are well experienced in breast augmentation procedures.  You will find that recommendations and surgical techniques may vary slightly between surgeons and it is important to find a qualified and experienced surgeon whom you are also very comfortable with.  I do not believe it is impossible for you to have a breast augmentation procedure before you leave for college but I would recommend scheduling consultations sooner than later.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best of luck!