Is 18 too early for a breast augmentation?

I'm a 18 year old female looking to get a breast augmentation after I graduate high school. I can never get cleavage + the fat ratio between my upper and lower body has always bothered me (breasts are 34 B and hips are 42 inches). I have been researching since 15 and know that this will help my body image immensely. Living in New York, there are multitudes of opportunities to get the procedure but, is this too young? What are the risks/cons to getting a breast augmentation so young?

Too Young for Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for your question. At the age of 18, you are not necessarily too young for a breast augmentation procedure. You being a good candidate will depend on if your breast tissue is fully developed. If so, the procedure can be safe and effective, providing long-lasting benefits. From your description, it does sound like breast implants could dramatically improve your confidence and self-esteem. My recommendation is that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, who can then further explain your options for breast augmentation. After a physical examination, and a review of your medical history, he/she can determine if you are good candidate for breast implants at this stage. 

Probably still developing

At 18, your breasts may still be developing. While you still could get your procedure performed, your results may be affected by the continuing development of your breasts. You may want to consider waiting until you’re about 21 or 22 before getting implants as a result. 

Hi Freyjabork.  It seems as though you have contemplated a breast augmentation for a long time and have put a lot of thought and consideration behind your question.  As you may find with the many answers your question will undoubtedly receive, there is no concrete answer for when exactly it becomes 'appropriate' for patients to elect to have a breast augmentation procedure.  Women, young and old, choose to have a breast augmentation at their respective ages for a variety of reasons.  Timing, personal schedule, medical history, health profile, finances, etc... can all contribute to when a patient finds the 'right time' for a cosmetic procedure.

In the case of young women, under the age of 25 or so, I look to see that they have finished puberty, have had a stable breast size for at least 6-12 months, and have realistic expectations and goals in mind.  If all of these check out, you might be a great candidate for a breast augmentation even though you are only 18 years old.  

Now, things to consider:

I would caution young patients, such as yourself, from going too large on their implants as tastes tend to change based upon age and lifestyle.  I have seen many young women interested in achieving a full C or small D bust, who then come to me later on in life (after children or in their late 30s) wishing that they would have gone for that more natural mid C.  

It is also true that pregnancy can change the shape, volume, and appearance of the female chest, so it is possible that in the future you may wish for or require another breast related procedure (potentially a breast lift or implant exchange).  

Lastly, the FDA has only approved the use of silicone gel breast implants for patients 22 years of age and older.  Since you are 18, you are currently only eligible for saline breast implants in the absence of any breast defect that would warrant the off-label FDA use of silicone gel breast implants.

It is true that a breast augmentation can be a huge self-esteem booster for some patients and when the procedure is well thought out it can be the right choice for some young women.  I would strongly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is well-experienced in a breast augmentation procedures.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best.

Breast augmentation at 18?

Is it inappropriate to have a breast augmentation at 18?  Not necessarily.  Would I recommend it?  Not necessarily.  While there is always the possibility of some further breast development over the next few years I am confident there will be further development of your sense of body image and self confidence.  Clearly you have given this much thought and you are to be complemented for even asking these questions.  You may find that a few years from now this will not be an important issue for you.  If it is then you can be more confident you are making the right decision.  Think about waiting awhile and then re-visit the issue again.  You have a lot of time to make the right choice.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Many young women choose breast augmentation at your age for various reasons.  As long as you are  healthy, have fully completed puberty, and have realistic expectations, you should be a great candidate.

You should be made aware that you will need another revision of breast surgery in your lifetime also.

Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon for the best advice.

Breast augmentation at age 18 - is it too young?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Based on your thoughtful question, eighteen is probably fine at your age.
  • The big problem I see in women under age 25 with breast implants, is having ones that are much too big.
  • A breast augmentation can make a big difference in self-esteem, so if it seems right for you - trust your own judgement. It sounds pretty good!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Breast augmentation

Many young women undergo breast augmentation as young as 18. The only risks you really face are that you haven’t fully finished developing and/or may not be emotionally mature enough to handle major surgery and the recovery that follows. If you feel you are mature and financially stable enough, have done your research and have fully developed then I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to have a physical examination and review of you medical history done to determine whether you are a good candidate for a breast augmentation. I will tell you, at 18 this does limit you to saline implants as silicone have an age restriction of 21. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Age and Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question.  At 18 years old, you may be finished developing and ready for breast augmentation.  However, some women develop as late as 22 to 23 years old.  If you feel you are still developing, you might wait until you are a bit older.  However, if you are ready, find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who will help you understand what might work best with your body type and post-operative goals.  There are great variety of breast implants these days so make sure to do your homework not only your potential surgeon but also what you might be interested in as far as breast implants.

Wishing you all the best,

Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation at 18

It is not unreasonable to get a breast augmentation after turning 18, as long as your reasons and expectations are valid. I have performed breast augmentation surgery on 18 year old girls, but I insist upon at least 2 prior consultations to discuss all ramifications and to be sure each patient is mature enough to understand all aspects. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

If you have small or asymmetrical  breasts then and you are not happy for this situation; then you can be a good candidate for breast augmentation operation. As it was also mentioned above,  small breast can be something that woman might want change. However choosing the right operation is the most important step in the planning of the operation. Therefore understanding the needs and the expectation of the patient is the most important thing and it needs a successful evaluation.