One implant larger than other? (photos)

As you can see in my after photo, one of my implants is clearly larger than the other. I did not notice any asymmetry before surgery, but now that I look back at my before photos, you can see that my breast were not the same. Will this get any better? Should my doctor have seen this? I plan on going back, but I went out of state so I'm just asking for an outside opinion for now. I am one month post op, 520CC, saline under muscle

Talk to your surgeon

It seems as though your right breast preop was larger than the left. This should have been noticed preoperatively so that two different implant sizes could be place( a smaller implant on the right side and the larger implant on the smaller side). In any event, after 6 months, you might want to discuss placing a smaller implant on your right side. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula 

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Implant issue

It looks like one breast was larger than the other preop.  What size implants did you have placed?  You might need a revision if you are unhappy.  You would need to wait several months.  Best of luck.

Breast asymmetry - what to do?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation asymmetry.

• I agree with you that you had significant asymmetry before surgery.
  • Although I would expect most plastic surgeons to notice this and discuss how to approach it at surgery,
  • I would also expect - if it had been overlooked - for the surgeon to adjust it at the time of surgery and explain to you what was done and why. 
  • However, it may be possible to adjust the implant fill volumes to look more even. 
  • If not, you will need to discuss having a smaller implant on the larger side or even a slight breast reduction
  • Changing implants will be the easier and less expensive way to do it.
  • Since surgery was recent, I suggest this not be done for 3 months after surgery if possible to allow some swelling to subside.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

One breast implant larger than other?

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear of your disappointment.  Based on your photo it does look as though one implant is larger. You need to see your plastic surgeon to discuss whether a revision with a smaller implant as necessary.

One implant larger than other?

Your right breast was significantly larger to begin with. That being said, your surgeon should have placed two different size implants in order to try and get them more symmetrical. In order to correct this, you would need a revision with either a larger implant placed on your left or a smaller one placed on your right depending on how big you wanted your final size to be. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Assimetry before surgery

hello, you already had an assimetry before surgery, you need a breast revision and try to do with a lower implant inthe right side. Good luck

Juan Gordillo Hernandez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

One implant larger than other?

Yes, you need to see your surgeon soon. If this size change happened after surgery, you need to figure out why. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast assymmetry

Breast asymmetry can be a difficult problem to correct. One of the reasons we do take preoperative photographs is to document your appearance before undergoing the procedure.   It is apparent that you did have a asymmetry before your procedure  and without making any modifications such as different size implants, changing the amount of saline put in the implant or a mastopexy this asymmetry is likely to persist after surgery.   You are still early in your postoperative course and you may see minimal changes in terms of swelling decreasing however you are likely to have persistent  asymmetry.   It is always helpful to point out  asymmetry prior to surgery so that you do not have unrealistic postoperative expectations.

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for the question and photos.  I think everyone will agree that your before surgery asymmetry carried through to your breast augmentation results.  If the same volume was placed in both breasts then the asymmetry naturally would be maintained.  I do not believe that your breast asymmetry will improve with time since the volume asymmetry would be maintained. The big question is whether an implant exchange alone would be enough to equal out your asymmetry or whether a lift or areolaplasty would also be needed.  The reason for the lift or areolaplasty would be to address the inherent asymmetry of the breast tissue.

Good luck with the remainder of breast shaping journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

One implant larger than the other?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your current appearance has caused you concern.  If you had the same size implants placed once you are fully healed in 6 months any difference in size will only be that which was preexisting.  I now waiting is difficult, but allow your results more time to mature and then assess your desire for any surgical revision.  Hope this helps.