How long do I have to wait until jogging after breast augmentation?

9 days post op, tuberous breast correction: Today I was walking and did a little hop-jump cuz I almost tripped. I wasn't running or jogging but was that little jumping action super bad for my implant? Only happened once, but kind of worried...

You should wait 3 to 4 weeks after breast augmentation before jogging.

One small hop shouldn’t impact your recovery process or damage your breast implants. You’re about halfway through the 14 to 18 days I recommend that women avoid strenuous physical exercise, such as running, so your body is already well into the healing process. There’s also a difference between a one-time motion and the repetitive jostling from jogging. Check with your plastic surgeon and follow your specific instructions strictly but you should be able to start jogging and resume all of your normal activities again 2 to 3 weeks post-op.

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before running or exercise. It's best to be sure that everything is healed. There is always a chance of causing bleeding if you start much before that time. When you start, listen to your body. You will be a little out of condition and a bit sore. But you will get back to where you were before surgery very quickly. Regarding the jumping situation you had, i think you shouldnt be worried if it happened only once and you havent felt anything different to worry about. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Activity after augmentation

If a patient is healing well, I usually allow them to go back to light aerobic activity within 3-4 weeks. Best to check with your surgeon.

Running post op

every surgeon has different preferences but usually for jogging it should be about a month
fir upper body exercises it would depend on the implant placement eg dubglandular or sub muscular

all the best

Exercise after augment

You should always ask this question of your own plastic surgeon as everyone has his or her own post op regimen and no one knows your situation better. I would not be concerned about that jumping action. These things are part of everyday life.  With respect to exercising, I recommend starting a month after surgery but under controlled conditions and building up to your pre-surgery workouts gradually.

Thank you for your question.  Surgeons will vary with their postoperative recommendations.  In my practice, patients can jog lightly beginning 3 weeks after breast augmentation.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to further guide you.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Jogging after breast augmentation surgery

It's important to always keep your surgeon in the loop with your post-operative concerns. I tell my patients that in general they and their implants are not that fragile, although I do tell them to take it easy for a week. For example, no sex to raise their blood pressure to prevent possible bleeding. I do let them lift their babies on the third day to transfer them to a high chair, car seat, crib etc. I instruct my patients that they can start jogging by the third week, 21 days after surgery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon