Getting TT, BL and implant replacement and want to skip Lipo. Is this a normal request? (Photo)

I'm having a tummy tuck, lift and breast implant replacement in 3 weeks. I'm really worried about the recovery. I'm a mother of 4 and own a business, so speedy is a must. That aside, I want a great natural look. I'm noticing women who have lipo, in addition to what I'm getting done, have harder/longer down time. I really want to omit the liposuction. I just don't want the extra trauma or pain. What do you think in my case? I have a small flank patch but think I can work out to get rid of it.

Should you skip liposuction?

In my opinion, the liposuction isn't the limiting factor determining when you get back to work.  It's actually the tummy tuck.  When your surgeon does your tummy tuck, he will be putting the muscle wall back together to where it was before babies.  The liposuction will simply give you more of a waist.  Since you will be wearing the same compression garment and it won't change your recovery time, I would recommend keeping it as part of your surgical plan.  You will be glad you did once you see your new shape.  Good luck!

Liposuction during tummy tuck surgery?

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, liposuction is a tool that is often used during the time of tummy tuck surgery. Different plastic surgeons utilize this tool differently; some are more “aggressive” than others. In my practice, I frequently utilize this tool to treat adipose tissue of the flanks and pubic areas during the tummy tuck procedures.

In your case specifically, whether or not you should undergo liposuction surgery will depend mainly on your goals;  if you are concerned about adipose tissue of the flank or back areas, best to have the liposuctioning performed. 

I would suggest you spend additional time discussing your goals, plans, and expectations directly with your plastic surgeon, in front of a full length mirror.  Working together you will come up with the best plan to achieve the desired outcome.    Best wishes.

Skip Lipo

I agree with the comments from the other surgeons. But I do think the fat deposit is minor and you are probably correct that this will go away with exercise. It would be very simple have liposuction later if you needed to.

Mommy make-over without liposuction

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Generally, it is the tummy tuck and implants that determine the recovery -
  • Unless multiple areas of liposuction are treated.
  • You are slim but you look as though you may get a square look, if you don't have liposuction.
  • Please discuss your recovery and your liposuction with your surgeon to be sure you have the help and time you need for a good recovery.
  • All that said - if you don't want the liposuction, you certainly don't have to do it - you might end up having it done later on.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Multiple Procedures Based on Individual Needs of Each Patient

The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to restore a woman’s body to look as is it did prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Lipoabdominoplasty probably not indicated in your Mommy Makeover

Thanks for question and pics.  TT & Implant exchange-lift should not delay your recovery, excessively, assuming that the procedures are mostly skin resection (you don't have any capsular contracture and the abdominal muscles are minimally splayed).  Most PS will suction the hip rolls, but you appear to have minimal adiposity and thus appear to be a terrific candidate.  Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Speedy Recovery after Tummy Tuck?

You might want to talk with your surgeon about this before your surgery. A "speedy recovery" after a Tummy Tuck is probably unlikely... at least not without putting your result in jeopardy. 
Best Regards,
John Di Saia  MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

The tummy tuck is the portion of the procedures that has the longest recovery.  Liposuction is not necessary, but may help compliment the other procedures.  It should not lengthen your recovery.  I suggest speaking with your surgeon about your concerns.

Camille Cash, MD

Dr Derby

The procedure that mostly determines your down time is the TT and not the lipo. The lipo complements and improves your final results and i would not leave it out. Talk it over with your doctor .Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Getting TT, BL and implant replacement and want to skip Lipo. Is this a normal request?

Thanks for your question and pictures.  For the group of procedures you are having done, the tummy tuck will determine the length of recovery and will lead to the majority of the down time.  Liposuction is often combined to help contour the entire waist/trunk.  Speak with your surgeon about your concerns.

Naveen Setty, MD