How much/little drainage does there have to be to have a seromacath removed?

When getting a seromacath, what is the drainage requirement to have it removed? When my original drain was pulled it was under 25 cc's for a couple days. Then I got a seroma, and am getting a seroma cath. I'm wondering how long it stays in for? Is there a minimum cc amount before it will be removed? Or is it a time frame?

Seroma - how long does the catheter stay in?

Thank you for asking about your seroma catheter.

• You would need to ask your own surgeon.
  • If you had a seroma when you were only draining 25 ccs a day, your surgeon will probably want to leave it in until it is about 10 cc a day or less.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Trust your surgeon's opinion

Most surgeons would remove drains when they are under 25 cc's for several days in a row, so in your initial drain management, I would have removed your drain then too. Based on this, I personally would want to see the drainage amount be a little lower before removing the seroma catheter. I would also be encouraging you to utilize appropriate compression garments and limit your activity while it heals. Of course, these thoughts of mine are not as important as those of your surgeon with regards to your individual case, so I would be sure to ask him or her these same things.

Seromas are tricky. Usually drains are removed between 1 and 2 weeks after surgery. Seromas usually form around 2 weeks after surgery, so even if you had a drain that put out less than 25cc/day, you may still have a seroma form after the drain is pulled. The seroma cath will be removed under similar rules - when it puts out

Timing for drains removal

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

The usual time frame for drain removal is less than 30 cc a day for 3 days in a row. It seems that you failed this usual practice. Solutions are:

Restrict activity to prevent fluid production.

Compression with garments

In your case the less fluid that you generate, the better.

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey