I had a hair transplant 9 and a half months ago; results look very sparse. Is it worth waiting or going for a 2nd one? (Photos)

I had a FUE transplant of 3500 Grafts approx 9 months ago - Everything seemed super professional procedure wise - however the results (see pics) look quite sparse to me. Most doctors on this site seem to say to wait one year for the full results - but it also appears that 9 months is a good indicator of 80 % growth - does that vary? Because to me the 9 month growth looks quite bare. Is it worth waiting for a year to see? When is a good time to get a second session and is FUE recommended or FUT?

I had a hair transplant 9 and a half months ago; results look very sparse. Is it worth waiting or going for a 2nd one?

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photo, 

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Results after FUE

Nine months is too soon to evaluate the outcome of a hair transplant.  It would be best to wait at least a year, or even a year and a half, to fully evaluate the results since growth can be quite variable. In regards to a second procedure, it would be best to wait the year and a half to see the final result of your first procedure. The decision to perform a second procedure (whether FUE or FUT) would be based upon your scalp laxity, density and available donor area that would be determined during a follow-up examination.

Robert M. Bernstein, MD

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results. In rare cases it can take over a year to see full results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Unhappy with results

Go back to your surgeon and share your results with him or her. If I has a patient like you, I wold want to know and make it right with you

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Regrowth After Hair Transplant

Your results look minimal at this point and it may be that you just have to wait for full regrowth. Most achieve full benefits in 10-12 months after hair transplant if the transplant was performed correctly. Wait another 3 months and review the results with your surgeon.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Timing

you can still see growth even up to 15 months after FUE. It also appears that you have lost some of the native (non transplanted) hairs in the meantime. If you have concerns you should follow up with the surgeon who performed your hair transplant. Typically a second FUE session is performed at 1 year, but this varies by surgeon. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Baldev Sandhu MD

A full year will allow every single graft to cycle through its growth phase. You should wait another three months before considering additional procedures.

Thank You

Baldev Sandhu MD

Timing for a second hair transplant

If the donor site and recipient site has not been used in the previous operation,it is possible to perform the second surgery anytime.

On the other hand if the donor area is used homogeneously in the first surgery and for the second surgery the extraction will be done among the first extraction area then you should wait approximately 9 months.

Secondly if the recipient area is the same area then you have to wait at least 1 year for increasing the density with a second surgery.

If the recipient area is apart from the first surgery recipient area then anytime you can have the second surgery.

All the best 

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon